Marine fish in freshwater...Get outta here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoozFishMaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Did anyone read last weeks article in Pet Product News regarding the keeping of marine ornamental fish in freshwater? It's absolutely amazing.

The article explains that scientists at MariCal Inc, a Portland based marine science and technology center, and Maritech-Proaquatix are currently maintaining populations of marine fish in freshwater. They have developed technology revolving around supplementing the fish's food and water with natural minerals, thus allowing them to live in freshwater. What is even more amazing is that Nick Nevid, Ph.D, co-director of research for Proaquatix believes these fish may reach the market within six months! The article doesn't go much further than explaining that the fish's food and water must be conditioned; I wonder how they were able to accomplish this.

How did they get around the pH difference between salt/fresh water?

Definitely post a link -- sounds like an interesting article

The only thing they said about fish was that Proaquatix currently raises 45 species of marine fish. Specific types include clownfish, dottybacks, basslets, gobies, blennies, and nudibranches. I'm sure they can breed these fish in marine conditions but I don't know if they are raising them in freshwater.

They even claim that marine fish will be able to be kept with freshwater species.

I do not have a link. The owner of my LFS gave it to me. He copied it from Fridays edition of Pet Product News.

That sounds too much like they're trying to play God. Being able to mix FW and SW species? That's just wrong IMO.

are brackish fish considered sw or fw fish? i live in ohio, surrounded by the great lakes and they have some crazy fish up in there.

The link doesn't work because of the ID=517 at the end. Just type it in if you want to see it.

Back
Top Bottom