Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Marine ich with corals and inverts

Hi All,

Hope you can help I have a 90gal tank full of live sand, rock and inverts. I lost 8 fish (Full fish stock) about 7 weeks ago to Marine Ich I did a 20% water change about 7 weeks ago. All me water levels look good and on Friday I started to add fish (2 clowns) again thinking it would now be ok but within 48hrs both where crab food!!!! I didnt do any hypo treatment as I was told not to due to my tank set-up I dont want to try ooeninx as I've been told to many bad things about it.

Any help on this would be great, thanks in advance

Old 12-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

leave the tank empty without fish for a few months till the ich parasites die, doing a hyposalinity treatment and raising the temp to about 82 degrees will not really harm the corals and inverts to much but will speed up the life cycle of the parasites. adding fish will just lengthen the life cycle of it as it will have a host to cling to and live off of.

eithere this or treat the water with a reef safe medication and hope for the best. next time it is best to QT your fish before putting them in your main display or make sure your LFS does their own so a fish doesn't carry ich from system to system

Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #3

thanks Leo,

I'm concerned about lowering my SG to 1.010 with the inverts, I was told not to do this. What SG would you recommend I go down to?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hypo that low will definitely kill your inverts. Just leave the tank fallow (fish less) for 8 weeks an the ich will die off because it won't have a host.

Hypo is only recommended for fish, and you should treat them separately in a QT for 4-6 weeks. I drop mine down to 1.012 just to allow for error.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #5

Thanks gents, looks like I'm going to have to wait it out so 8 - 12 weeks it is!

Tags
coral, corals, ich, inverts, marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com