Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2004, 09:38 PM   #1

Marine Snow?

Can anyone tell me if they've tried the reef additive Marine Snow? How was it? And would you recommend it?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if they've tried the reef additive Marine Snow? How was it? And would you recommend it?
Algae bloom in a bottle, IMO.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #3

Now I'm gonna sound real dumb asking this one.. Good algae or Bad?? I'm assuming bad..[/quote]
Old 02-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Yep, bad When talking SW, very few alga are "good" alga.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:04 PM   #5

Ok! So at the expense of Humiliating myself with my inexperiences. I've been wondering what chemicals are good to use in a reef type system..BIONIC?? In truth I haven't used anything in almost 2 years but I always hear people talking about this makes a big difference and that does..
Old 02-07-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Marine Snow is a food for filter feeders. B-Ionic is a balanced calcium and alkalinity additive. Tell us a little about your tank and what you test for, with frequent water changes you may only have to dose calcium and alkalinity...it really depends on your systems needs.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #7

Well here goes... Its a 55gal. with 2 hagen powerhead 402's, 2 65watt smart lamp power compact florescents, 1 48inch 10,000k coralife florescent, aquaclear 500 filter, and a turbo floater 1000 multi skimmer. I have about 35lbs live rock which is covered in coralline algae..nice purple. argonite reef sand for substrate.. I'm considering changing my filter though.. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, and Nitrate fluctuates from 0-20ppm.. Partials are administered twice a month at about 15 to 20% each time. Oh I also have an ebo-jager 250watt heater which maintains my tank at about 75-78 degrees.. I found this area of temp. seems to work well for me. I use coralife sea salt for my mixtures... Hope this helps in deciphering wether or not I should try certain chems..
Old 02-08-2004, 02:35 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you don't have any corals, there really isn't any reason to add anything to your tank. I'm guessing based on your lighting that you most likely don't have any corals regardless other than simple low light corals like shrooms, leathers, polyps, etc. which again doesn't really need any additions.

IMO, most of the products on the market are completely unnecessary and from the sounds of your coralline covered rock you are doing just fine.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 02:58 AM   #9

I do have some corals.. and like you said..They are shrooms, polyps, zooanthids,...what others would you reccomend for what i have??

Tags
marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com