Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2003, 07:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
From the pics it looks like there is a cap on thie overflow, and the rod actually closes the cap some, that is why it will raise and lower the level in the tank
Correct - now this confused me further - recall there is an overflow tube on each end of the tank - could it be that I could set, via the overflow control rod, the overflow level on each end of the tank seperately?? like I said, I have corrected the level problem - the tank is perfectly level now, but with their control rods set differently, the water reaches up to a different level on the overflow tube cap..

weird.. I'm probably rambling, just trying to figure out this new system, it's my first experience with an overflow/sump mechanism, and the "JetStream System" doesnt seem to have much info on the net about it, user testimonials etc..

Old 05-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I would use the bar and open them up, full tilt and then make very small adjustments until it is where you want them.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

shortly before I read your reply I did just that - I pulled each tube all the way up, and there was no gurgle.. now I'm sloooowly pusing them back in. ... if the overflow control rod is meant to elliminate gurgle - why is it that the gurgling is actually coming from the control rod??
Old 05-12-2003, 10:29 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it is meant to control the gurggle, from the pics I saw on the website you linked, the rod looked solid. For it to eliminate the gurggle, it would have to be hollow.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

the rod is hallow. with a tension ring to set how far into the main flow tube it extends. when it's "too far" , I get gurgling up through the hallow tube.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

There is an old trick to quieting an overflow. You stick a piece of airline tubing into the drainline, until it quiets down. I've never continued to put more tubing down in it, so I suppose if it was "too" far, it might become noisy again.

Old 05-12-2003, 11:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah - that'd be essentially the same thing here.. and another thing I notice about this "control rod" - there's a "flare tip" at the end of it that's down the tube - like a tension clip, only it flares out (picture like, a pair of bell-bottom jeans) and you can see when the water drops down the tube, it "flares out" as it passes over this flared end - perhaps the space consumed by the flared water is what creates the increase/decrease in water flow down the tube. I think you're right - too far up and too far down will gurgle.. I think my mistake was assuming that the starting point in setting it up was all the way down - starting all the way opened up seems to be working better.. When I find the happy medium, I guess I'll just place the tension ring accordingly to keep it in place, and ship off the extra portion of the tube that sticks out the top (otherwise I can't put my glass cover in place)..

Tags
control, flow, marineland, overflow, stream

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com