Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

marineland led reef capable

A little while ago i made a more"economical" and less knowledgeable purchase of the marine led reef capable light. Like many of us before we do extreme research we see reef capable and think bingo that made it easy. So i have had a failure with a pretty nice Sps even though i kept within the recommended level for maximum PAR and maintained perfect water parameters. Even though marineland says it will grow SPS it will not( as some of you know) My question is : I am stuck with my purchase for now and it was a large one for me but what can i grow using this light? I know soft corals but which ones. I like zoas, florida ricordea, Mushrooms, Toadstool, Hammer corals, leather hands. Can i keep some of these and if so which by far my favorite is zoas and ricordea. Thanks & as always i appreciate the advice.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd think you can keep the ones you listed with that light. Well, depending on how deep your tank is.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootz
A little while ago i made a more"economical" and less knowledgeable purchase of the marine led reef capable light. Like many of us before we do extreme research we see reef capable and think bingo that made it easy. So i have had a failure with a pretty nice Sps even though i kept within the recommended level for maximum PAR and maintained perfect water parameters. Even though marineland says it will grow SPS it will not( as some of you know) My question is : I am stuck with my purchase for now and it was a large one for me but what can i grow using this light? I know soft corals but which ones. I like zoas, florida ricordea, Mushrooms, Toadstool, Hammer corals, leather hands. Can i keep some of these and if so which by far my favorite is zoas and ricordea. Thanks & as always i appreciate the advice.
What you could do is get a 4bulb t5 fixture along with the LEDs, and you should be able to keep Sps corals
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Better yet get two 2 bulb t5 fixtures. Probably will run the same cost You could even get a less expensive fixture like deep blue. Put one on each side with the led in the middle. That should work perfectly. I currently have some sps specifically green slimer acro and a couple of Monti frags high in the water column that have been there for a little over a month and still look great I'm only running the 4 bulb odyssea unit.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is like 19 inches deep but most of my coral i place 10inches away from the light
Old 11-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have the same marineland led lights on my 40 Gallon reef ready tank with t5 lights and I've got some of those corals u mentioned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-915473590.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	59713   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2734413316.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	59714  

Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good stuff i dont have any t5s atm just the marineland but basically i am safe if i stay with all softies?
Old 11-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

On another note, even though the light is not as powerful as i would have liked it to be the leds make the tank look amazing especially the initial transition from florescent bulbs to leds it is mind-blowing how much better my tank looks now.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Your right about that an it gives a nice effect.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

could it grow this? Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Neon Green Palau Nephthea - Aquacultured

Tags
cap, led, marineland, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com