Marineland magnum 350

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am attempting my first water change on the 150, and this magnum 350 has two valves on both the intake and the output tubes. I closed them both, is this the right thing to do? Also why are there two valves on each tube?

the valves shut off the water flow so that you can disconnect the hoses and remove the canister from under your stand for easy cleaning. If you just want to shut off your pump (for water change purposes), best thing to do is to turn it off by slidding the switch which is located at the base of the filter. Do not turn off the valves while the pump is still running.

after you have removed the canister from the main drain lines. (by twisting off the tubes at the junction point) you can then lift that canister off of the base containing the pump and take it to the bathroom to remove the old carbon and clean the sleeve, etc.

From there, the easiest way to remove the top is to turn one of the valves to full open, this breaks the vacum and allows you to easy remove the top for cleaning.

Thanks. I got so mad at that stupid filter last night (after hours of working on the tank) I decided that it had to go. As I was trying to figure out how to get the hoses out from behind the tank without getting water everywhere, I figured out what the valves were for. I officially hate that filter.

I have two of them, (I am not sure how well the other one works, I plugged it in and I heard the motor go but it sounded like there was sand in it) and they are really old I think. I couldn't get the air out of the canister, and it took my lfs guy forever when he set it up. They will have a new home out in the garage :D

Back
Top Bottom