Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

My apologies, hadn't read about your vacation. Enjoy it! Good luck getting rid of the trates.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you. Im literally ready to start an all out war with them. I'll spend every penny if i can get them down. Do you have any experience with this block????

Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

You dont need any of that stuff, its simple. Less is best with feeding. They wont starve and do your water changes. If you cant find 15 minutes every 2 weeks for a water change then youre too busy for this hobby.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, for the 100th time. When I get home, I am going to do water changes every day until the nitrates go down. And, btw, I have cut feeding to 1/3, but a 1.5 foot eel and an 8" grouper eat. Alot. And need to. I am asking for personal experience.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Ok, for the 100th time. When I get home, I am going to do water changes every day until the nitrates go down. And, btw, I have cut feeding to 1/3, but a 1.5 foot eel and an 8" grouper eat. Alot. And need to. I am asking for personal experience.
Do you have a fuge?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

From what it says in the description of the block I wouldnt expect it o do much as far as the nitrates. I think it is probably more helpful in keeping beneficial bacteria which can in a way help with trates but i wouldnt think substantially. :-(

This thread has gotten quite tense, lol. I understand where you are coming from though as far as the nitrates, I have similar issues in my rimless because of the multiple feedings i have to do every day. Just do the water changes when you get back and when you have the trates down low enough think about where or what you wanna o going forward. I think the reactor with pellets might be the way to go and will work ok once the trates are lower.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Crister,

I think you may have gotten yourself into a catch .22. Nitrates as we all know are very simply dealt with, however you seem to have a situation in this case for this specific tank of being overstocked or exceedingly under maintained. I too have been reading the post the past few days and have gotten the impression your struggling with nitrates for what seems like the same reason and that reason is your livestock. This livestock has a large bioload and consumes lots of food all which contribute to nitrates, and here watching from the sidelines it seems like your losing an un winnable battle, and as the fish continue to grow the problem will only get worse and worse especially with a slack maintenance schedule.

We all get busy, i do to and im guilty of missing waterchanges however i also do them asap and makeup for extra time that i was late on the change with a larger change and better cleaning. So i think that is where you should start.

I would forget about the products. In the long run you will only run into more problems because of them. These products also require close monitoring and attention while using also, carbon dosing or biopellets are not pour and forget methods.

I want your tank to succeed and honestly i think you need to revise your stock. I knows its hard to part with a fish after time but i think right now its your best option especially of you dont have the time 'all' the time to maintain.

I could give suggestions all day long on getting your nitrates to 0 but your gonna run into the brick wall eventually when you see your stock and feeding habits they require are probably the main problem, and will get worse as they grow.

Im not trying to be harsh so i hope i dont come off that way, just trying to help you get this right and in a way that you and your schedule can handle.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I believe the OP is just asking for advice for his CURRENT situation and dont deserve to receive criticisms left and right from so many EXPERTS on this hobby.

This is what preventing a newbie like me to ask questions here.

Just saying.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You dont come off as harsh at all. Thank you. I have thought about that before, the only thing is it never happened before even with the same stock. Right now I am completely capable of monitoring the tank all the time. I did get a little lazy truthfully, but now am completely committed. The same tank 6 months ago had about 0 algae for about 4 months. I think the 1.5 months was bad, but I actually think that changing the substrate is what did it. I changed about 2-3 moths ago, and the tank was beautiful right before the change. I think the sandbed helped with nitrates, so im going to lower them, pay real close attention, and hopefully they'll stay down. Even after the 1.5 month neglect, after 2 water changes all the cyano ad algae died. Im convinced it was the sand. Wish me luck!!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiel
I believe the OP is just asking for advice for his CURRENT situation and dont deserve to receive criticisms left and right from so many EXPERTS on this hobby.

This is what preventing a newbie like me to ask questions here.

Just saying.
No problem with asking questions and no one is criticizing, we are all trying to help is all. If you take advise the wrong way then perhaps an advice forum is not for you.

Short answer, no the product in question will not solve this issue, the advise given by me and others will.

Welcome to AA

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com