Marital dispute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveNandi

Aquarium Advice Regular
My husband, David, is trying to persuade me that adding a Q tank to our new reef aquarium system would be not only a good idea, but also “not a big deal.” I think it wouldn’t be much less work and equipment than setting up and maintaining the main aquarium. After all, the fish are supposed to be in there for 2-3 weeks. Presumably, we need to have some live rock in there, an additional filter of some sort (even with only 1-2 fish in the Q tank, they still eat and sh-t), a heater, aerator, sufficient lighting that turns itself on and off, and all the issues of keeping the water at appropriate salinity, pH, etc. And since the live rock in the system needs to stay alive, you can’t shut down a Q tank very easily, nor bring it online very quickly, so you are presumably committing yourself to keeping up this extra effort for the life of the main tank.

Am I missing something? Is it really so much “safer” to do all this work yourself than to allow the LFS to keep the fish for 2-3 weeks in one of their tanks after they acquire it? If you keep the Q tank bare-bones stripped down to the essentials, don’t you stress your new fish that much more by keeping it in that minimalist habitat rather than putting it into the presumably much cozier fully-set-up and furbished marine tank right off the bat?

Please help fend off a marital squabble by providing us with your expertise.

Thanks,
Andrea

QT tanks are meant to be broken down and cleaned every time you use it and its use is over for the interim.... As far as the filter, you can get a cheap HOB filter and keep the filter pad in the main tank sump...then when it is time to use the QT, you drain the needed water out of the main tank, and use the filter pad that has been sitting in the main tank sump... this way you take care of the filtration part.... Then replace the water you took out of the main tank with a fresh batch of water... Then, you take care of two things at once,,, a water change on the main tank, and good water for the QT so your fish are in the same water that they are going to be in when they are released into the main tank...... This is also very helpful when QT'ing for disease....Because the fish are kept in the same water in the transfer process from the main tank to the QT.... After the 3 to 6 week acclimation and observance period, tear it down and clean everything well, and store it for the next time it is needed.... There is no need to keep a QT up and running forever.....however, many people become MTS after setting one up.. so be careful....I hope this helps...Be happy to go further if needed

Andrea,
The QT is a good idea. Admittedly, the LFS, if they are keeping the fish for 2-3 weeks before they sell them, are getting them past the worst of the shipping stress. However, you are going to stress them again when you bag them up and bring them home. For some of the less hardy fish, this is all it takes to bring on ich or a myriad of other stress induced problems. Once the fish go into your reef tank, whatever they might have is in there too. You can't treat them while they're in there because the meds are not reef safe and will kill off most of your inverts. Have you ever tried to catch a damsel with a net in a tank full of LR? :mrgreen: My vote goes to the QT. You won't regret it.

Have you ever tried to catch a damsel with a net in a tank full of LR?

I have and Man that is not fun.. I gave up after 3 months of trying... I refuse to break down the tank lol.. It is now his home until he dies.. however he survived 2ppm amonia and 1ppm nitrite so i dont thing that its going to be very soon... FWIW a QT will save you alot of money and frustrations down the road. It is well worth the investment. Trying to catch anything in your reef tank is going to be near impossible once they are in there.. Want a Large pair of S. Lightfoot crabs? Come catch them without breaking down the tank and you can have them.. lol

James

hey, dont complain if the spouse actually WANTS you to set up another tank :)

Back
Top Bottom