Marital troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have two false percula clowns in a 12 gallon. I've had them for a couple months now. I've read on a couple other threads that it is normal for them to fight a bit and dominance is established and after a while they stop fighting and become a pair. They are doing this and the smaller one does the shimmy thing displaying his submission. The thing is they have been doing this since i got them. how long does it take for them to become a couple. There is a size difference and they aren't fighting to the point where the smaller one has any damage done. I guess the question is are they a couple thats taking a while to work out their issues or are they not going to become a couple and are just fighting.

There are times that it never happens as far as them becoming a pair. If the fighting gets too intense cut the lights off for a few hours.

Well i would rather have a happy home if they aren't going to become a pair. I can give one back so they aren't fighting all the time. Do you think they would have become a pair already if they were going to?

Do you have any other fish in the tank, or is just this pair.

I would give them another month ot two unless the larger one is really clobbering the small one. Give them some more time to iron out who's really boss.

everything i have in the tank is listed in my signature. but yeah they are the only fish. They have their good days and bad days but the smaller one doesn't seem to be taking to much of a beating which is whey i have been waiting it out. I'll give them more time unless things take a turn for the worst.

When I added my second clown to the tank it was a tiny little guy and I was worried about the same thing. It took about 3 weeks before they really took to each other and now they are practically one fish. Sometimes clowns will pair up and sometimes they wont.

Time and keeping an eye on them is about all you can do for now. I hope it works out thought a pair is really interesting to watch.

Took my two GSM's about 6 weeks to just swim in the same part of the tank. Took another 4 weeks before mamma would let daddy into the anemone.

I have two ocellaris clowns. When I brought them home they kept space between them and only one would go in the anemone. After about 1 month the one in the anemone was much bigger (honest!). Another another month and they were swimming togehter. In the third month she would let the smaller clown sleep in the anemone at night. After another 2 weeks she would let him in the anemone in the day. They are so fun to watch as if the male swims to far away from her she goes and gets him and it looks as if she is telling him off. Then she often heards him home if he does not just go. They cuddle often and almost look as if they are kissing. I've seen them doing the shimmy thing and did not know it was sumission. If they leave thier part of the tank they go together. In total it took about 4 months to sort out thier differences and now they are a very happy couple.

Betsy

Sappy is really good and I am so glad some one else feels sappy about thier fish! I just love them and get so much joy out of them. I was just cleaning some algae out with my big rubber gloves and my cleaner shrimp came over to see if I was dirty and needed a clean. I was so touched. Next as I was cleaning I must of dropped a piece of shell or something in my clam and I got to see it spit it out -- way to cool.
Anyway thanks for being sappy makes me feel a bit more "normal".
Betsy

Back
Top Bottom