Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mark Weiss products

Does anybody use or ever try Mark Weiss products?

I ordered a bottle of Coral Vital but dont if I will use it yet(kinda doesnt make sense). Also would I still dose Ca with the vital?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 06-08-2004, 12:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used "Bacter Vital" to cycle the tank, seemed to work fine. I also ordered the "Coral Vital" but it's still sitting there unopened. I go by the saying "If it's not broke, don't fix it!" Everything in my tank seems to thrive, so why add another chemical....

Old 06-08-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm left wondering, with so many hobbyists never adding anything but calcium and alk suppliments, why would one want to spend money adding something that they don't even know what is in the bottle?
One of the most important rules of thumb in this hobby is: Never add anything to your tank unless testing shows there is a need for it.
Unfortunately, you can't test for what's in Marc Weis products as no one knows what to test for.
Personally, like many others, I do water changes primarily to REDUDCE the levels of trace elements which build up higher than normal salt water levels due to additions of food to the tank. Feeding the tank adds all elements in varying amounts, including iodine. Most of it has no way out of the tank without water changes.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Mark Wiess products are pretty much junk. Coral Vital is an algae bloom in a bottle, I wouldn't even do it the justice of keeping it on a shelf. Send that one to the land fill. If your tank is fairly new all its going to do is make you confused on your water tests because it gives false spikes on just about every major cycling parameter. It will also bring on hair algae in new tanks like mad IME.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is my view of those products.

On the bottle and box you cant find any information other than just marketing hype to tell you whats in the bottle. So you really dont know quite what your adding to the tank. What elements your adding that you need, what elements your adding that you dont need, etc.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good point as well

-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree with Brisc0 and FishFreek. You just dont know whats in them. IMO they are just Snake Oils, you are buying the Hype on the side of the bottle. They have no ingredients listed, because there is nothing benificial to your tank.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:17 PM   #8

They are junk in my opinion. The only reason that most store's sell them is because the mark up on them is very good.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys, I think i'll ship that one back

Also I do water changes about twice a month, 25gal. in a 120gal aquarium but cant seem to get my Ca over 350ppm. I use IO salt mix but now I am dosing with seachems Ca, why cant I get it raise to 400ppm or so with water changes?

Do I need to do them more often and in bigger quantities?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IO is good salt, however its low on calcium, 350 sounds about right. Either test and boost the water after its mixed or begin dripping kalk or get a two part suppliment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com