maroon clown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The clown I have is still relatively small and has always been housed by itself. So does that mean its still a male or no way to determine?

FDshoes said:
The clown I have is still relatively small and has always been housed by itself. So does that mean its still a male or no way to determine?

If it has been housed on its own for any length of time it is more than likely female. If yours still is not that big then it's difficult to tell which is even more reason to put a small one in. It covers both bases then.

He has not been aggressive to anything in my tank and surprisingly doesn't really have a spot or side he kinda roams the whole tank. So hopefully it will be relatively peacefull when I try.

How much smaller should I try mine is prb 1.75 in?

My maroon was never aggressive to anyone but whenever I tried to pair it, it killed the smaller maroon. I finally just gave up. To have the best chance, and really the only chance of it pairing, is to put a smaller one, the smallest you can find. A female clown can never turn back into male so it's best to get something smaller since your clown is probably a female because it's been housed alone.

Thanks guys gonna try. Do you think letting the new sit in the breeder box in the tank maybe help? I've read it may? If so how long week two weeks?

FDshoes said:
Thanks guys gonna try. Do you think letting the new sit in the breeder box in the tank maybe help? I've read it may? If so how long week two weeks?

Yes this is a good tactic and will almost definitely help. 24hrs should be more than enough for them to introduce themselves to one another without stressing the new clown too much in a small environment. Be prepared for this not to work out though. The Maroon is the most aggressive of all clowns and while the success rate of pairing normal clowns is pretty high this is not the case for maroons. That's not too say I would not try it. When it works it's great. There will be a bit of fighting and this is normal. The difficult part is determining when the little guy has had too much. It may be you ask the shop where your getting it if they are prepared to take him back if it does not work out. Even better would be to swap him and try a few different ones. Make sure he don't get too beat up tho! ;-)

Once I catch this stupid damsel I will get it and see how it goes thank you guys much! I will keep u posted.

Side note it took me 30 min to catch the first one and working 5 days for the other *slap to face*

Ok a little update on this. I have tried pairing the clown I found abt .75-1 inch let him sit in a breeders basket for abt 18-20 hrs let him into the tank tree was instant fighting. Of course this was expected but I let him sit in the tank for almost 2 days. After that he was pretty beat up so I was able to catch him and he is in my fuge living in a little condy I have down there. Eating well and fins are starting to grow back.

Do you guys think instead just trying again when he heals up I should maybe catch the bigger existing one and put her in the fuge and put the little guy and his nem in the tank them re-introduce the other after about a week? Just a thought let me know what anyone thinks.

Thank you!

Mine is still alive and rehabing in my fuge doing very well. I am wondering if my best bet is just trying again or catching the bigger one and put him in my fuge and put the small one in the dt then try again in a week? Out of thoughts want to hear how someone sucessfully paired them.

Please a little input the baby maroon is almost completly healed in my fuge. Should I
A. Try again with the little guy in breeders basket for a day or two or
B. Catch the bigger one put in fuge then put the little guy in the main tank and week later reinteoduce the bigger one?

Please advice want this to work even tho odds are stacked against me.

I would try removing the big one and rearranging your scape then putting the big one in with the little one in about a week.

Not gonna rearrange like mtly rock work and alot of it is glued/epoxied together. That is why the condy is in my fuge but I wasn't gonna fish it out when I put the clown down there. Just happened that the clown loved it. I think I am jus gonna try the swap for about a week then try again and cross fingers.

Maybe try putting a mirror next to where the larger clown is hosting. It will confuse the clown and also split the beatings. Unfortunately- maroons are nasty little buggers. It's always best to introduce at the same time

Jlsardina said:
Maybe try putting a mirror next to where the larger clown is hosting. It will confuse the clown and also split the beatings. Unfortunately- maroons are nasty little buggers. It's always best to introduce at the same time

First problem the existing larger clown is not hosting in one perticular spot kinda free swims whole tank and has a couple sleeping spots. I know very strange. Second I wish I was able to do it I took the maroon from a good friend of mine cuz it was a little to much in his 29 cube.

I am workig tonight and tom night so by sunday the baby should.be fully healed. So im either gonna try the swap or put both in my fuge with an eggcrate seperating them.

Back
Top Bottom