maroon clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everybody, I need some advice on this one, I currently have a 1inch, maroon clown that I bought 2 weeks ago,(not the one that I really wanted) don't ask, now I went another LFS yesterday and saw the one I want, she is 3 inches , my question is if I buy her will they get along? considering there is a huge size difference will it work?
thanks

It's iffy. They usually fight when there is more than one but since you added the other one recently and it's smaller, there may be a chance they won't kill each other and eventually mate.

If it's another maroon clown, then they could possibly mate. All clowns are "sexless" when in a group. So when one is alone it will become a dominant female. And your actually supposed I introduce a smaller clown, which will become male. So I think you would be okay. No promises though

if they are still juvenile, they will probably determine which will be the female by fighting. The female will be the more aggressive and the male less dominant. When this is decided they should stop fighting.

If they are mature, and both male, they will fight until one dominates and becomes female.

If they are mature, and both female, they will do it until one dies. Clownfish can go from male to female, but not in reverse.

I don't know the mature size of a maroon clown, but I can't resist myself, she is 3 inches long and tank raised yellow stripe and perfect, I have never seen a tank raised maroon that big
Thanks

no, i know a 1 inch maroon is not mature, my question is there is a 3 inch maroon that I want to buy at the LFS, is that fish mature and if so will they get along?
Thanks

I would think you would be ok. If the 3" one is mature it could be male or female.

More the likely your 1" is male.

I would say the 3" one if female will end up mating if it is a male it should change sex
I would say the larger one will be female or become female

That's assuming they are both the same type of clown

Only thing is the larger one may kick the little ones butt and cause more stress than normal

I've had one for several years now in a 75 gallon. Looks like he is standard size 3-4".

image-3018345832.jpg

Attachments

• image-3133894026.jpg
    image-3133894026.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom