Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Concur with Hara return the third smaller clown. I have had a pair for over two years and love them. It is likely they will pair up(larger one female) altough it is common for some monor agression from time to time. The third could complicate things as they mature.

Be preparred for them to get big. In a 90g the female could easilt reach 6+ inches. My female is already over 4.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks again for the advice. The third one became a gift for my neighbor across the street. He had a percula in his 46 gallon that was about 3 years old and pretty good sized. He moved the percula to his 100 gallon to make room for the maroon. Probably pay me back in beer or something, but that's cool too

I don't mind if they get large. I'm not planning on a lot of fish. My current stock plan now in addition to the 2 clowns is:

Yellow Tang
some type of watchman goby, or maybe a jawfish
a small reef safe wrasse, undecided what species
a dottyback, probably neon
possibly a couple of purple firefish

and thats about it. I'm leaning towards the dottyback and the jawfish because I'm trying to keep it different from what's in my FOWLR as much as possible. I have a watchman goby and a gramma in there.

Hopefully I won't have the problem that The Gillman mentioned. That one will have me back at the LFS too

ColdFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Generally the way clowns work.
There is one female, the rest tend to be male. Once the female dies, the next male changes sexes and becomes the female and the next one in line becomes the dominant male....
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
my first two fish were maroon clowns. i had to return the larger one the following week because of the fighting. the larger one would always attack the smaller one and bite off all its fins. the weird thing was, that the smaller one would keep trying to follow the big one even though it kept getting beat up.

i then made the mistake of getting 2 more clownfish - a true percula and clarkii. about a week after i got them, i noticed that my maroon's fins were chopped off, but the other two clowns had no signs of fighting. then, all of a sudden, my percula died. the next day, the clarkii was dead. i don't know what my maroon did, but he is .

now he just hides in the corner of my tank and only comes out to eat.

40 Gallon JEBO Salt Water FOWLR Aquarium
27lbs. LR
Fish: 1 Maroon Yellowstripe Clown, 1 Blue Tang
Clean-up Crew: 2 snails, 1 crab
proverbs is offline   Reply With Quote

aggression, clown, maroon clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com