Maroon clown and BTA help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought mine (5.5" fully opened) for $12.99 at my LFS

Are you kidding me? The ones I was looking at were maybe in the 3 to 4 inch range ; certainly could not have been much bigger. I was told that they were from Australia but come on ; that much of a price difference.
I know that being here in Connecticut we might pay a little more than other locations but "ouch" .
Thanks for the response ; time to keep shopping. I could probably buy online and pay shipping and still come out ahead. Only drawback is I would really like to see it before I buy one.

Are you kidding me? The ones I was looking at were maybe in the 3 to 4 inch range ; certainly could not have been much bigger. I was told that they were from Australia but come on ; that much of a price difference.
I know that being here in Connecticut we might pay a little more than other locations but "ouch" .
Thanks for the response ; time to keep shopping. I could probably buy online and pay shipping and still come out ahead. Only drawback is I would really like to see it before I buy one.

Yea I know rose bubble tips are pretty pricey! But the green bubble tip like mine should not be priced at more than $30 tops I think! That's nuts!

I have 260watt PC lighting. And adding another lighting (2 48" T5 actinic bulbs and 2 150watt MHs) when I get a chiller to counter act the added heat

PC lighting can not support a nem, ho T5 and MH can, dump the pc lighting, no need for a chiller, a $10 Walmart fan and a temp controller is all you need. I untill recently ran 2x250 MH and T5's on my 125, and I have 6 nems, nothing but a temp controller and a Walmart fan, what people do not understand is that with a temp controller an added benefit is if a heater gets stuck on, it shuts off the power to it and turns your fans on. Set it for a 1 degree difference and when you set temp goes above or below 1 degree, it turns on the fans or the heater. Nems will not tolerate fluctuation in temps, salinity (ato) or parameters. Best thing you can do for your bleached hem is pristine stable water conditions and lighting, and small, frozen brine size feedings once a week. Once it is healthy under the correct conditions, they never need feed. Good luck

Green were $ 100 to $ 125 range depending on the size and the Rose were $125 and not quite as large as the smaller green ones. Not complaining about the price but being new to the saltwater I was just suprised. I am sure much of it depends on my geographic location as well.
Sure my LFS is also probably a few dollars more than one of the big box pet stores but I can't bring myself to take the risk of buying from them after seeing the horrable conditions that they keep their tanks in.

I'm sure my clownfish would most likely enjoy it so have to keep working on it. Thanks.

Green were $ 100 to $ 125 range depending on the size and the Rose were $125 and not quite as large as the smaller green ones. Not complaining about the price but being new to the saltwater I was just suprised. I am sure much of it depends on my geographic location as well.
Sure my LFS is also probably a few dollars more than one of the big box pet stores but I can't bring myself to take the risk of buying from them after seeing the horrable conditions that they keep their tanks in.

I'm sure my clownfish would most likely enjoy it so have to keep working on it. Thanks.

I wouldn't pay $125 for a GBT!

I'm afraid I'm with Holygral on this one....You need much stronger lighting, especially in a 31" deep tank. I'm afraid those 150 watt halides won't do it either. They don't pack much of a punch. I would try and sell that and get some LEDs.

Scuba dude...where are you located?

I'm afraid I'm with Holygral on this one....You need much stronger lighting, especially in a 31" deep tank. I'm afraid those 150 watt halides won't do it either. They don't pack much of a punch. I would try and sell that and get some LEDs.

Scuba dude...where are you located?

Hum, why are you afraid to be with me, lol

Well, though it may have sounded that way, I am actually more afraid to give the OP the bad news....but I did get a chuckle.

Well, though it may have sounded that way, I am actually more afraid to give the OP the bad news....but I did get a chuckle.

lol, I so agree with you, you have to keep giving the same advise, on BTA, mandarins, tangs and tap water, I feel like the grim weeper, but flowers and fluff will only cost people big monies, fine line we walk, onward we march :)

lol, I so agree with you, you have to keep giving the same advise, on BTA, mandarins, tangs and tap water, I feel like the grim weeper, but flowers and fluff will only cost people big monies, fine line we walk, onward we march :)

Better for you guys to be grim reapers. Then death in our tanks... :) that's why people join right? It's like a community service...you should put it on your resume LOL!

Better for you guys to be grim reapers. Then death in our tanks... :) that's why people join right? It's like a community service...you should put it on your resume LOL!

So wish that was true, but 90% of people have already made up their mind as to what they want to do and that their tank is different than the hundred of thousands of people before them, most advice falls on deaf ears, this hobby has a huge learning curve, but most newbes need to and will learn on their own. The victims are our oceans treasures. Everyone wants an nem, but they have no clue that there are no BTA that are white or yellow, which means no one is doing research, they just want one, no clue to what they need as far as conditions or lighting, I so love nems, and it makes me sad that the industry keeps harvesting them because LPS keep selling them to people who do not know that a white nem is not good. (90) percent of all reef forums questions can be divided into, BTA, Tangs, and Mandarins, the 3 hardest creatures to keep in an enclosed environment, but the most sought for as a new reef keeper. Makes you want to throw in the towel, hopefully someone is listening :-} OK I am off mu soap box, going to go and enjoy me reef :)

So wish that was true, but 90% of people have already made up their mind as to what they want to do and that their tank is different than the hundred of thousands of people before them, most advice falls on deaf ears, this hobby has a huge learning curve, but most newbes need to and will learn on their own. The victims are our oceans treasures. Everyone wants an nem, but they have no clue that there are no BTA that are white or yellow, which means no one is doing research, they just want one, no clue to what they need as far as conditions or lighting, I so love nems, and it makes me sad that the industry keeps harvesting them because LPS keep selling them to people who do not know that a white nem is not good. (90) percent of all reef forums questions can be divided into, BTA, Tangs, and Mandarins, the 3 hardest creatures to keep in an enclosed environment, but the most sought for as a new reef keeper. Makes you want to throw in the towel, hopefully someone is listening :-} OK I am off mu soap box, going to go and enjoy me reef :)

Well I like to have the advice! My lfs just recently tried to talk me into a tang. If they would quite saying anything to make a sell and give good advice & customer service they would have more loyal customers! I've learned quit a bit off of here. Thanks! :)

Not in the long run. One of the stores in my area is going out of business because they got a bad rep of saying anything to make a sale. It's getting much easier to get stuff though the mail in good condition.

So sell my lighting and get LEDs if I want to keep the anemone? :( I think I might just take it back to my LFS I don't have the money to drop on that just yet.

So sell my lighting and get LEDs if I want to keep the anemone? :( I think I might just take it back to my LFS I don't have the money to drop on that just yet.

Good idea if you cant get the lights like yesterday. Always research your purchases ahead of time to save the trouble. Even if I think I know about what im buying I still pull up live aquaria's website on my phone and look it up

Back
Top Bottom