Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDaAx View Post
I bought mine (5.5" fully opened) for $12.99 at my LFS
Are you kidding me? The ones I was looking at were maybe in the 3 to 4 inch range ; certainly could not have been much bigger. I was told that they were from Australia but come on ; that much of a price difference.
I know that being here in Connecticut we might pay a little more than other locations but "ouch" .
Thanks for the response ; time to keep shopping. I could probably buy online and pay shipping and still come out ahead. Only drawback is I would really like to see it before I buy one.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post

Are you kidding me? The ones I was looking at were maybe in the 3 to 4 inch range ; certainly could not have been much bigger. I was told that they were from Australia but come on ; that much of a price difference.
I know that being here in Connecticut we might pay a little more than other locations but "ouch" .
Thanks for the response ; time to keep shopping. I could probably buy online and pay shipping and still come out ahead. Only drawback is I would really like to see it before I buy one.
Yea I know rose bubble tips are pretty pricey! But the green bubble tip like mine should not be priced at more than $30 tops I think! That's nuts!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDaAx View Post
I have 260watt PC lighting. And adding another lighting (2 48" T5 actinic bulbs and 2 150watt MHs) when I get a chiller to counter act the added heat
PC lighting can not support a nem, ho T5 and MH can, dump the pc lighting, no need for a chiller, a $10 Walmart fan and a temp controller is all you need. I untill recently ran 2x250 MH and T5's on my 125, and I have 6 nems, nothing but a temp controller and a Walmart fan, what people do not understand is that with a temp controller an added benefit is if a heater gets stuck on, it shuts off the power to it and turns your fans on. Set it for a 1 degree difference and when you set temp goes above or below 1 degree, it turns on the fans or the heater. Nems will not tolerate fluctuation in temps, salinity (ato) or parameters. Best thing you can do for your bleached hem is pristine stable water conditions and lighting, and small, frozen brine size feedings once a week. Once it is healthy under the correct conditions, they never need feed. Good luck
Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green were $ 100 to $ 125 range depending on the size and the Rose were $125 and not quite as large as the smaller green ones. Not complaining about the price but being new to the saltwater I was just suprised. I am sure much of it depends on my geographic location as well.
Sure my LFS is also probably a few dollars more than one of the big box pet stores but I can't bring myself to take the risk of buying from them after seeing the horrable conditions that they keep their tanks in.

I'm sure my clownfish would most likely enjoy it so have to keep working on it. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
Green were $ 100 to $ 125 range depending on the size and the Rose were $125 and not quite as large as the smaller green ones. Not complaining about the price but being new to the saltwater I was just suprised. I am sure much of it depends on my geographic location as well.
Sure my LFS is also probably a few dollars more than one of the big box pet stores but I can't bring myself to take the risk of buying from them after seeing the horrable conditions that they keep their tanks in.

I'm sure my clownfish would most likely enjoy it so have to keep working on it. Thanks.
I wouldn't pay $125 for a GBT!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Liveaquaria.com has small rbt for $60!! Watch the site they go on sale quit often.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My GBTA ia 18 inches across, he is worth so much more than $125
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
My GBTA ia 18 inches across, he is worth so much more than $125
Post a pic. I want to see.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilton.s11 View Post
Post a pic. I want to see.
general reef picts

June Reef Photos by Holygral | Photobucket
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'm afraid I'm with Holygral on this one....You need much stronger lighting, especially in a 31" deep tank. I'm afraid those 150 watt halides won't do it either. They don't pack much of a punch. I would try and sell that and get some LEDs.

Scuba dude...where are you located?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com