Maroon clown and BTA help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I just picked up a Bubble Tip Anemone from my LFS today so my maroon clown would have something to do... I figured it would take a while for the clown to host, but she took to the BTA instantly. I mean as soon as the nem touched down on the rock she was in it! I am super happy about that, but I am also worried that maybe the nem won't have time to get used to my tank. It's been an hour and a half and my maroon clown has not left the nem. Do you think this will be a problem? If so what should I do? I will add a picture so u guys can see the size of each and health.
Oh! Btw the tank is 110g tank with 20g sump. And plenty of flow/lighting I think

Sorry pics are from my cell phone

image-2602892753.jpg

image-2578515525.jpg

I think your bta will be fine!!!! Mine actually gets un happy when the occ clowns aren't in it!!! Lol

Thanks guys for te feed back! :) and thank you on the compliment :)
The Nem is starting to open up a but more. I will see how it's doing tonight before bed

image-3680342725.jpg

This was 9 hours after I introduced the bubble tip to my tank.. I think it's doing okay

image-56290222.jpg

It's a 110g 48"x18"x31" it's my build on a budget :) it's coming along nice. I think.

your nem is bleached, sorry what kind lof lighting do you have?

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

It does look bleached, get that remedied and it should be ok.. big clowns in smaller nems can cause problems with the nem getting to beat up but you should be ok there..

your nem is bleached, sorry what kind lof lighting do you have?

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.

The color of the Nem has gotten better than when it was at my LFS I think. I will keep an eye on it. Are the bubble tips a sign of anything?

The color of the Nem has gotten better than when it was at my LFS I think. I will keep an eye on it. Are the bubble tips a sign of anything?

It will take months for color to improve, not days, what lighting do you have, with out the proper lighting, it is doomed, no amount of feedings will bring it back without the proper lighting.

Bubble tips are not a sign of anything, that anyone can prove

It will take months for color to improve, not days, what lighting do you have, with out the proper lighting, it is doomed, no amount of feedings will bring it back without the proper lighting.

Bubble tips are not a sign of anything, that anyone can prove

I have 260watt PC lighting. And adding another lighting (2 48" T5 actinic bulbs and 2 150watt MHs) when I get a chiller to counter act the added heat

I hate to ask but can you give me a rough idea of how much you might have paid for the Anemonie? I went looking this weekend for one for my clownfish also but did not bring enough mad money to purchase one. My local LFS had them in the $100 - $125 dollar range , don't get me wrong they were very nice size and looked great but I guess I was suprised at the cost. They had both green and rose. I guess I don't mind paying the price as long as it is not way out of line.

I hate to ask but can you give me a rough idea of how much you might have paid for the Anemonie? I went looking this weekend for one for my clownfish also but did not bring enough mad money to purchase one. My local LFS had them in the $100 - $125 dollar range , don't get me wrong they were very nice size and looked great but I guess I was suprised at the cost. They had both green and rose. I guess I don't mind paying the price as long as it is not way out of line.

A good sized rose is about that price from what I've seen. Green bubble tips are much cheaper though.

I bought mine (5.5" fully opened) for $12.99 at my LFS

Back
Top Bottom