Maroon Clown tips please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltySteve

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any tips on how I can give my Maroon clown the best possible chance?
Received a new addition to my tank a 1.5 inch Maroon Clown. I want to get him on a good diet right away. Been trying to feed him frozen brine shrimp. He gets a fair bit but probably not enough.
Any help?

Try some mysis shrimp as well as some of the other frozen food. San Fransisco Brand makes some nice mixes such as Marine Crusine and Ocean Nutrition's formula one is also a nice food.
IMO brine is not the best food. OK for an occasional treat, but should not be used as a staple food. It lacks the nutritional quality that other frozens may have.
Also, soak the food is a vitamin supplement such as selcon and you should have a healthy happy clown. :wink: :)

Thanks,
The problem I am having with the frozen food is it disolves in the tank and I don't think he's getting very much of it. Is there a better way to feed him instead of just dropping it in the tank ? :D
Thanks again

It shouldn't be dissolving, maybe he is just eating it or it is settling in the substrate.

Brine shrimp are a treat to the clown fish and they do love it, but it is nothing more than seasoned water. (no real nutritional value)
Start them on Formula one and two flake food in the morning and then frozen Formula one and the Brine shrimp in the evening.
Try cutting the frozen food in quarters though because it is much easier for them to consume.
Good luck,
Jason

Get a high quality flake food, I have two pairs of clowns, a pair of tomato and a pair of maroon.....I alternate between flake and frozen and frankly, they like the flake much better.

cool, I found the Maroon really goes for the flake as well.
Can I ask how all your clown fish get along, are they all in the same tank ?
What else gets along with a Maroon , thanks!

the pairs are in seperate tanks. The tomatoes are very large and have an engineer goby, lunare wrasse and a blue damsel as tank mates. The maroons
can be rather nasty..luckily yours is still small, so I would get something that is a bit larger and can hold its own. My pair are the only fish in a 55 gallon. They have a
pair of coral banded shrimp an urchin and some crabs for company.

I also have a pair in with a Blue Damsel, a Royal Grama, a urchin, a new Shrimp and tons of crabs and hermits. The maroons are currently share hosting a big coral along with the shrimp, and the Damsel seems to roam around the Grama's hole in the sand. They can get testy with each other but they are all around the same size. My Tank is 125gal and they all hang out on one side. :?
Good luck,
Jason

Thanks guys,
My Maroon was just added to my tank. I have a nice Yellow Tang with a yellow tail damsel. I want to add one more fish. Unsure of what to add :|
My 3 fish all hang out in one side to :wink:

Back
Top Bottom