Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maroon clownfish

Hi i have just purchased two maroon baby clowns from my LFS. They have been in the shop together for about 4 weeks they said. They advised they were a pair. One is SLIGHTLY bigger than the other but they are still young. When i took them home and looked in the bag i noticed the little maroon clown had his fins and tails all nipped. I acclimated them to the tank and left them there. Ive noticed that the larger maroon clown comes for the smaler one and the sort of attack each other on the body. Sort of pushh and shove. The smaller one fights back and then the big one backs off. Then shortly after the big one will come for it and the same thing will happen again.. I dont understand why they are fighting. Are they stressed ? Or will they sort them selves out? The dont always fight they somes times stay together but when they seperate and meet again then they fight... Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. I thoigh they were paired and dont understand why they fighting. This is the first day they been in the tank

Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Giv the clowns some time to get used to the tank and its surrounding. When you see 2 clowns together in ur LFS it really doesn't mean they a pair specially if they both small clowns. I've got 2 percular clowns (as seen on my profile pic) and they some times fight aswel but its mainly the bigger 1 that starts it lol I think your maroon clowns are slowly going to become a pair but just keep in mind that maroons are aggressive clowns they will fight at times. It normally takes clowns already a couple of months to become a pair just keep your eye on them. If 1 of your clown grabs the other clowns fin a couple of time that mean they are actually fighting and you'll have to take it out for a day and put it bk in. I would suggest u put 1 in a breeding basket and let the other clown see him more. That's what I did

Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine did the same for about three weeks and now they are side by side most of the time. The bigger one would nip the little ones tail. Now all my fish seem to get along even with my Damsel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2178062478.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	128193
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nice tank
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does anyone know how long it takes for maroon clowns to pair
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mine have been together for just over a month and I still get some nipping from the bigger one. Is the smaller one shacking its whole body when it's rushed at? That's a good sign that they are pairing. Jaw locking and tearing fins completely off, are bad signs. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

They sleep together and chill together sometimes. But when they fight the big one comes for the smLler one but attacks its body only no fin pullin or mouth locking whatsoever.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

The small one has fins tearead and i was wondering does any one know how they heal. The big one must have been attacking it while it was in the bag but since they been in the tankit doesnt attackk the fins
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxmxxh1
The small one has fins tearead and i was wondering does any one know how they heal. The big one must have been attacking it while it was in the bag but since they been in the tankit doesnt attackk the fins
They will just grow back... No big deal.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

My clowns fins have stated to grow back now. It takes a while thou.

Tags
clown, clownfish, maroon clown, maroon clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com