Maroon clowns not getting along ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lordlars

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Have recently purchased a pair of Maroon Clowns. One is about 5cm in length and the other is about 8cm in length. When I first purchased them they got a long fine now that they have been in the Aquarium for about 9days they larger more dominant one is profusely chasing and attacking the smaller one. My Question is is there anything that can be done to assist them through this battle they same to have other than attempting to remove one of them My tank is a 300 US Gallon inhabitants other than the 2 clowns are 2 three spot damsels about 30 blue legged hermits and about 30 asteria snails thanks for any info ???

Where they in pairs when you got them?

Its quite possibe that the agression your seeing is a mating ritual.

Provide the clowns plenty of room to hide and the smaller one should be able to get 'under cover' when the larger one becomes to agressive.

Yes they were a pair when I purchased them they should have plenty of room for hiding in the tank due the size the Big one just hunts him like it is a game or her soul purpose for living. PS we have named the big one Donkey and the small one is Tucker. I also had another concearn both of the fish have turned a much darker red more maroon hence thier name but they both have dark bands boardering all their fins which they did not have before when I purchased them this could be due to your previous suggestion. the bands are almost black or a very very dark brown

RogerMcAllen said:
Perhaps a bit off topic, but are maroons one of the clowns that will change sex based on their dominance in the tank?

All clown species will do this as far as I know.

In concern of the fish and their color once again I have noticed a strange type of Algae growing in the tank. this algae looks like miniature Pine fur trees and went grow clean glass just clean 3 days ago to nothing noticeable to my old blind eyes to algae the is about 1 - 2 centimeters in length in about 10 hours. Ohh PS there could have actually been many days that have gone past and I just do not remember since I am approaching that age where the BIG " A " starts to set in... Uhhhh !!!

Back
Top Bottom