Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Massive Diatom growth in a day and lots of Nitrogen bubbles?

I installed my new Metal Halide lamp which is a 175W compared to my old 30W flourescent.

I'm under the impression that I pretty much just have to leave it alone untill the diatoms start to go away. Is this correct.

Also I've notices A LOT of nitrogen building up in the sand. Is this simply my sand bed becoming established and converting the nitrate into nitrogen? Could it have something to do with my massive diatom growth?

I know one of the main culprits though...I will admit I am not using RO/DI water and I know I need to start....That will probobly help once I start topping off with RO water.

Here is a comparison of just 2 days time. Pitty me...lol... Although to tell you the truth I really don't mind the growth. I don't have any real coral or anything in the tank so it's realy not harming anything. Just helping to filter the water as my tank becomes established.

[/img]

Old 10-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Naso literatus, I presume? Don't let the tang police find out! (I think I hear sirens in the distance!)

Do you periodically run any carbon?
I will not pick on you about tap water, you know the drill!
I believe you could redirect some water flow, and dispel some of the unwanted growth. Until you resolve the influx of nutrients, history will repeat itself.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #3

Diatom

Diatoms are normal for a new tank. What does not help is that it is 1 month old, and you added a tang to an undersized tank.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
no Mike, the tank isn't undersized, the tang is just oversized!

Yes afishyonados, I am a full-fledged, card-carrying member of the tang police and any other police that feels that people should put fish in appropriate size tanks...but I digress.

The buildup you are calling nitrogen is most likely cyano just starting out. Cyano also comes in a brown snot kind of looking substance and not just the pretty red.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dinoflagellates, I presume.

It's okay Hara, I love police... with a little salt and pepper!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Yes, Dino, but seeing as most folks can't even get their thoughts around the concept of cyano, I was not going to confuse the issue further. Feel free to expound on it though.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I had a huge bloom of algae when I upgraded my lights. I believe a bunch of us bought the T5 systems and most, if not all experienced the bloom. Mine turned into a nice shad of cyano. At least I know how to get rid of it! LOL!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Okay well I will just let nature run its course.

Don't worry about the tang. I'm setting up a 125 as we speak so he can go in there when he gets larger. He seems perfectly happy for the time being.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, diatom, growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com