Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tried all of the above. using ro/di water, used a phosphate spounge. Cut back on photoperiod, added 10 more turbos.feeding DT's thrice a month now. NO CHANGE! don't know what else to do. any other suggestions. do i have to physically remove all the algae in order to get rid of it? please help.

Nitrates, trites and phosphates all zero'd.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

gallagherjim, I am going through the exact same thing right now in my 1yr old 45g reef. Someone at the lfs suggested the elevated summer temp I had (80-82) may have something to do with it, I am not sure I buy this. I have no measurable nitrates or phosphates and I have been using RO (it tests out <5ppm tds), and I have been running carbon and phosphate sponges and a good skimmer also. I even added a small bunch of Macroalgae to compete with the hair for nutrients. I do need more hermits and turbos (only have a few of each). 2 weeks ago we removed all the rock and scrubbed it and the glass and now it's coming back again. Point is removing it all may not get rid of it for good. If you scrub it off (use a clean plastic scrub brush), then your cleanup crew may be able to control it <I've heard cleanup crews will ignore it if too long>. BTW what is your substrate? Mine is a course coral sand (like a fine crushed coral) which I think may be contributing. I may also have some waste matter built up under the rocks, etc. My powerheads and filter outlets are covered in some hair already...I don' think a better crew is going to help when it's this out of control.

If I can't resolve this soon, I'm considering putting the livestock in QT and removing the rock to a trashcan with no light for a few weeks and changing the subsrate to a finer sand (no crushed coral) and starting clean. I did use tap water for the 1st 3 months so that may be a factor too. My solution would give me new sand and water, clean rock but it will probably recycle to an extent <only drawback>.

This seems like useful information:
http://www.saltyzoo.com/HairAlgae.html
http://www.janetsreef.com/120.htm

Old 02-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hair algea was driving me nuts. I added my powder blue tang, and he had 55 lbs of rock picked clean in the first week. Now, my cleaning crew can keep it under control. More snails and crabs!!!! I have probably 20 of each and would gladly take twice that.

it would be really tough on your live stock to remove it to QT.

Removing rock to a trash can would only be a temporary fix. The route of the problem is still there.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Read this link...http://www.janetsreef.com/120.htm
that is what was meant by moving rock to can...I would change the substrate also (which I feel is the problem)
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been taking care of a smaller hair algae problem. The source of my problem was my halide bulb being the wrong temp(too low). I first scraped and syphoned out as much as I could because when it dies it releases nutients into the water that will cause a continuous outbreak. What kind of test kits are you using? Finding the source is key as stated before. I would definately get more snails and crabs to help with future problems. This is a very frustrating problem but with some diligence and patience you can solve it. Good luck
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, sorry, I didn't literally mean put them in the trash.

Good Link SRGETZ.

My Tang is like hers, always getting in the way of the camera. It loves to have it's photo taken.

Tags
algae, attack, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com