Mated pair of clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two ocelleris clown fish that i've had for about 3+ months. When i got them, i made sure to get one that was smaller than the other in hopes they'd eventually mate. Now, three months later, the larger clown fish is significantly larger than the smaller one. There was a time about a month or two ago, that they were pecking at eachother which i woudl assume was them establishing who is going to be the dominante one. Now they don't bother eachother and usually are hanging out peacefully with eachother. The larger clown is much more active and curious than the smaller one.

My question is, how and when does one know they have successfully watched a pair of clowns become a 'mated pair'?

(obviously, if they lay eggs, they're a mated pair...but i was wondering if you can know before something like that happens)

Since one isn't dead now, after 3 months later, I think they are a succesful pair.

Mating may be another thing. Maybe environment influenced.

TO this point, once they become a pair, how can you inspire them to lay eggs? I have two clowns that have been together for 9 months and no eggs yet. I think the smaller on was very young, so it may just be that he is not mature enough yet. Any advice to get them in the mood would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom