Mattias first saltwater build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulkreefsupply.con and drsfosterandsmith.com both sell dry and live rock. Bulk seems to be pretty cheap though.

Odd, my lfs sells lr for 5$ a pound, and i just found a guy on craigslist, 2$ per pound! Minimum purchase of 20lbs though

Gboy66 said:
Odd, my lfs sells lr for 5$ a pound, and i just found a guy on craigslist, 2$ per pound! Minimum purchase of 20lbs though

Wow, that's a steal. Watch the quality though. I have 1 LFS in my area that sorts the LR by quality; $4/lb for low, $7 for mid, and $10 for high. There is definitely a difference because I bought some of each and the low quality was not as porous and it has taken a long time for the Coraline algae to grow on it. Also, the more expensive rock had a ton of tiny polyp creatures all over it and the Coraline grew like crazy on it. I'd say overall it's just more alive and mature rock with a lot of holes in it and no aptasia or harmful creatures.

Carey is setting it up, for the 6th i believe. Search for the thread 2nd group buy or something like that... I just searched her posts and came up with it that way.

Ya, i have a deal like that near me on CL....hey mattias, could you add an arrow crab to your tank? I know nothin about them besides the fact that they are cool and semi agressive!

needmorecowbell said:
They are cool, but I'm pretty sure theyre aggressive. I don't think that they are reef safe either but could be wrong

They are reef safe, but without sufficiant good they could start to nip a little bit. Can keep with other crabs, and could eat small fish. Lol i did some research, they are still cool tho

SwimsWithFish said:
Ok so I have this weird thing with placing 50lbs of rock on a sheet of glass. The thought of it breaking scares the crap out of me. I've heard of people putting down a sheet of egg crate, then rock, then sand. Do you guys recomend this? I think I'm going to go this route when the time comes. I've decided I'll probably do my base rock from reef cleaners or BRS. And then have a pound or 2 of lr in my fuge basket.

My rock is all on sand. When you look under the tank all you see is sand.

SwimsWithFish said:
Ok so I have this weird thing with placing 50lbs of rock on a sheet of glass. The thought of it breaking scares the crap out of me. I've heard of people putting down a sheet of egg crate, then rock, then sand. Do you guys recomend this? I think I'm going to go this route when the time comes. I've decided I'll probably do my base rock from reef cleaners or BRS. And then have a pound or 2 of lr in my fuge basket.

Make sure you check craigslist for LR. You would be surprised what you find. And its always cheaper

SwimsWithFish said:
Trying not to get off topic but hows the salt thing going gboy?

Found the tank, and i know what to do. Now, i have to come up with the money. Iv got 125, it costs 250. I have other money if i have to, but i dont want to spend it, ya know? Im not sure if were going to do it, but hopefully!

SwimsWithFish said:
Trying not to get off topic but hows the salt thing going gboy?

Good deal?
30 gal
New wood stand
4 bulb t5 light fixture
Rena filter
Protein skimmer
250$= good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom