Mattias first saltwater build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run my lights to simulate sunrise, day, and sunset.
Actinic on at 11 am
Whites on at 12
Whites off at 6 pm
Actinic off at 7 pm
Moonlights on from 7pm-11pm
I used to have lights running 10 hrs/day but couldn't keep algae under control so I took them down to 8 which is enough light for the anemone and corals. Everyone has a built in clock now and the corals and fish start waking up about 30 min. Prior to actinics because they know it's almost breakfast time! Lol.
Also, for your stock list look into clown gobies. I just got one a couple weeks ago and he's awesome! I have some pics in my photo album of him sitting on my mushroom and montipora. If you get a pair they breed in/on corals. I'm thinking of adding another. He seems lonely.

Cool! I'll take a look at your photo on my computer(app is being stupid) I just want my schedule have viewing time at from 6-10pm because that's when well be enjoying it most. So...
Blues: 11am-10pm
Whites: 12pm-9pm
Lunars: 10pm-7am

What do you think? That's 11 hours of full light.

Carey, I know you have expeirience with these amazing little creatures so.... If I were to get the first five fish then get a pod population growing and see if I can breed them in a separate tank..... Maybe buy a mandarin? If I do this it wouldn't happen for another 10 months or so because I'm leaving for 2 months this summer and I don't think leaving a mandarin with a fish sitter would be a good idea. Would you recomend it? Is there anywhere you can get mandarins that are fed prepared foods? I LOVE mandarins, but I wouldn't get one unless I knew for a fact I could keep it happy. The big problem with this is I leave every summer on vacation for a month and a half.:/ what do you think?

SleepsWithFish said:
Cool! I'll take a look at your photo on my computer(app is being stupid) I just want my schedule have viewing time at from 6-10pm because that's when well be enjoying it most. So...
Lunars: 10pm-7am

What do you think? That's 11 hours of full light.

That sounds good. 11 hours is a lot. You may acquire an algae problem but every tank is different so it may be fine.
A lot of people run lights for 10hrs. and have no problems.

I would try the shorter duration and if your corals need more light you can always go up in time or if you develop algae issues cut back the time. :)

As far as a mandarin, i say wait it out for a few months, like you said 8-10 months and go from there. If youre system can support one then theres no reason you shouldnt get one.

Yeah maybe

That's 9 hours of full light and allows me to enjoy it at night:)

carey said:
I would try the shorter duration and if your corals need more light you can always go up in time or if you develop algae issues cut back the time. :)

As far as a mandarin, i say wait it out for a few months, like you said 8-10 months and go from there. If youre system can support one then theres no reason you shouldnt get one.

You just made my day:D so how hard is it to get a pod population going in a tank that small? I read that mandarins are VERY hardy as long as there's enough food.

I started with established rock that already had pods and I have a small fuge in the back of my biocube. Luckily I had enough for the scooter and mandarin to eat while they were being weaned onto frozen food. If you wanted one i would look at the ORA ones, they seem to have a better chance of eating regular food.

SleepsWithFish said:
You just made my day:D so how hard is it to get a pod population going in a tank that small? I read that mandarins are VERY hardy as long as there's enough food.

I am the bad guy here...I disagree. Keeping Mandarins for longer than 6 months is part luck and a lot of work. JMO, I am boycotting them as they probably have a 99% long term mortality rate. The exception is Mandarins that have been raised to accept regular foods. Carey is one of the few I know that successfully weaned a regular LFS Mandarin to frozen foods. Everybody else, including me found they don't compete in a fully populated reef well. Again, there are always exceptions...but I stand by my statement that almost all Mandarins sold end up in the toilet.

I can't argue that its' a lot of work, I feed mine at least twice a day and I always always make sure she is eating. So that takes time too. I do agree that for the most part alot die from starvation and the mortality rate is much higher than with any other fish. It's a purchase you really really have to think about before making. I spent months going back and forth debating whether to get one.

I am glad I did get mine, she's kinda pudgy and eats mysis, bloodworms and brine like a champ. The beginning weeks weren't so good and you have to make sure that you for sure can handle the feeding requirements.

carey said:
I started with established rock that already had pods and I have a small fuge in the back of my biocube. Luckily I had enough for the scooter and mandarin to eat while they were being weaned onto frozen food. If you wanted one i would look at the ORA ones, they seem to have a better chance of eating regular food.

Ok. I shall begin my research!

Trust me. I am the last person who would get a fish that is fragile unless I knew I could make it happy.

As Greg said it cones in different colors. I would get the black because of algae not showing up as well on it. There was only white when I went and I think I'm going to regret it if I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom