Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Mature Bubble?

Not sure if this is the right area for this post, but I thought I'd share some pics of my green bubble coral. To piggyback off of melosu58's original post:
I've had my bubble for almost 2 years now (one of the first corals I've obtained once I went reef with my system). These pics really don't do justice to how far up it "extends", and the major difference once the lights are out. What is amazing is that the skeleton base of the coral is about the size of an egg, while the "flesh" is quite large/long!

Is this normal for how a bubble grows? Or is it just hungry for more light? (currently have a 150w, bubble is about mid-tank, off-center from the light.

When the lights are out, the bubble gets hungry(???).....

salty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
IME it looks normal on the first couple pics. I`m dealing with the last couple pics now. I had mine in a hole and it raised up like that. I think it looks OK. I`ve never really figured out why it does what it`s doing in the last few pics.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Mine never gets that extended but does look similar sometimes after feeding. It kinda looks like your last photo around lights off.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm confident the last 2 photos are normal behavior, perhaps the coral's "food hunting" mode as the tentacles are all out in force.

It just amazes me how these creatures change and grow throughout a day, watching it turn from a shriveled up I-don't-know-what on a piece of skeleton rock to an amazing creature showing off it's glory! Ahh, the joys of reef keeping.
salty27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com