Maturing tank lower nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a deep sand bed live sand , about 100 pounds of half live rock half dry rock in my 90 gallon tank i have a sump and a skimmer. My first addition (after cycled) was about 3 months ago. My nitrates are about 30 and i do weekly 15 gallon water changes. I think i am going to start doing 25 gallons to keep them lower. I have been researching nitrate removal methods like reactors, refugiums, algae scrubbers, ect. And i went to my lfs and they said not to buy anything because with the set up i have in about 3 months my nitrates shod be really low. I am still getting new algae growth on my rocks. Nice reds, purples and greens. What are your thoughts on when my tank matures and how my nitrates will be?

Red and green algae are not always a good thing. The red could be Cyano or red turf algae. The green could be hair algae...

Red and green algae are not always a good thing. The red could be Cyano or red turf algae. The green could be hair algae...

I have already confirmed that it is not cyano or hair algae or any other nuisance algae

Larger water changes will bring the nitrates down over time, your lfs is correct with that. Most people don't grasp originally that a 10% water change will only take so much ot the nitrates out..in this case a 10% water change only removing 3 of the 30, giving you 27.
These 'nitrate reactors' I don't know much about, but have run media in reactors to bring other levels down. I'd assume it is similar...but in all honesty nitrates can be controlled easily through either water changes, having the right amount of rock/sand (which you do), and growth of algae in a sump setup. People have great success with both refugiums and algae turf scrubers. All of this can be easily DIY'd for a pretty low cost if you decide to go that route.

Okay thanks for your advice and do you think i should wait before investing in some kinda of nitrate removal system. And What do you mean by "growth of algae in sump setup"?

Aka a refugium or algae turf scrubber.
If you have a sump, I think adding one of these to your system is always beneficial and pretty cheap when you DIY it.

Aka a refugium or algae turf scrubber. If you have a sump, I think adding one of these to your system is always beneficial and pretty cheap when you DIY it.
I have thought about a refugium but there isnt enough room. Then i thought about the algae srubber

Back
Top Bottom