Max temps for FO tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
My brother lives just a few doors down from me in my condo complex. He has a 55g freshwater tank that he somewhat neglects. In fact I use his tank as a control for my nitrate test kit. If his water test off the scale I know my test kit is still reading well for nitrates :D

I would like to offer to covert it to a FOSW tank. Taking care of all maintenance stocking etc. All he would have to do is come home and look at it. I am sure it wont take much convincing as he enjoys his tank just doesn't have the time or know how to keep a SW tank.

Only problem is he is adverse to running his air conditioning during our summer months here in FL. In the the thick of summer I have seen temps on his tank as high as 90 degrees. Likely just a fan blowing across the surface would bring that down a bit and I may be able to talk him in to running his window unit AC in the room while he is not there during the day to keep the tank temp down.

Since I have never let temps reach more than 82 degrees with my reef tanks I am unsure how high the temps could be allowed to go in a FO tank.

Like I said tank will be FO with your run of the mill clean up crew. I plan on lighting it with four wally world hanging shop fixtures of 30 watts/daylights. The type you would light a fuge with.

Back
Top Bottom