maxi-jet air adjustment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just filled my tank and i have 3 maxi-jet 1200's running. i was curious as how most of you have adjusted the air control valve. right now i have adjusted it so that it just barely starts pump fine bubbles. it this correct?

you want no air being injected. It will irratate fish and can cause problems with your corals should the airbubbles collect and merge on corals.

I have a powder blue tang that the only time is showed ich was when my pump was configured wrong and it was cuasing microbubbles to be injected into the water.

is it necessary to use the air control valves on the maxijets? I have one in my QT that I lost all the parts to so it does not have that setup.

looks like the consensus of this thread is that that we should not be injecting any air. so if your powerhead is fully submerged (the air inlet on the motor is underwater) then you can run without it. after the folks replied to my post, i took the tubing off completely.

The air bubbles can irritate corals and other inverts. Also, you will find that shooting all that air into the water will cause major salt creep and even overspray onto walls etc.

Back
Top Bottom