Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Maxi-jet mod?

I found this video of a maxijet mod while looking at something else unrelated. I have no idea what the mod is or anything, just the video. It looks like he stuck a white thing on the end or something to help create random flow. Does anyone have any more info on this or know of a way to modify maxi-jets to have a more random flow?

75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I am running something similar and think it is a worthwhile mod. You can take a MJ1200 that normally pushes 295 gph and get somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400+ gph.

Most of the mods use pvc and a RC boat propeller(s). There is a LONG thread on RC about this. I am running one from a guy that was molding propellers as a kit and but can't recommend him since he is no longer answering e-mails. The DIY route is easy enough but I chose not to fool with it this time. Mine works great except I have mine on a wave timer. Since a maxijet can reverse the direction of the impeller, you have to have a stop on the kit to prevent the impeller from sucking instead of pushing. Mine gets stuck and won't correct itself. Definately moves some water. Pushes A LOT more than my Seio 620.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com