Maxi-jet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcarlson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 questions.
1.Does anyone use the venturi injector on the maxi.
2.Does anyone use the prefilter grid or just the undergravel filter adapter.
3.I have 3 900 maxi-jets.What is your recommendation for placement and direction for flow.55 gallon.

Thanks,noob

Just make sure you have some of them pointing upward to have some surface aggitation which will help keep Oxygen in your tank

.Does anyone use the venturi injector on the maxi.
Nope
Does anyone use the prefilter grid or just the undergravel filter adapter.
I use the prefilter cap. UGF are not generally used in SW tanks anymore.
I have 3 900 maxi-jets.What is your recommendation for placement and direction for flow.55 gallon
Any place as long as you have a caotic current. Surface aggitation is also beneficial.

kcarlson said:
I have 3 questions.
1.Does anyone use the venturi injector on the maxi.
Yes, but only for my protein skimmer's maxi jet pump.

kcarlson said:
2.Does anyone use the prefilter grid or just the undergravel filter adapter.
3.I have 3 900 maxi-jets.What is your recommendation for placement and direction for flow.55 gallon.

2 - i use the pre-filter attachement.

3 - well, I'd be using MJ 1200's for that size of tank (I use them in my 40gallon which is a full foot shorter than your tank)..but in your case, point two at each other, but angled up to the surface (or oxygenation of the water)...and then probably put the other one in the back to provide some current behind the live rock.

The 55 is narrow and long so i thought 3 900's would be more than enough.Like u said 1 in the back in 2 in the front sounds good.Anyone else with some comments?

Here's the problem: an MJ900 is 230gph. 3x230 is 690. and 690/55 is only 12.5 full turnovers per hour.

Keep an eye on things. If you start to see red cyanobacteria, its likely due to dead spots in your current, and you'll need more maxi-jets, or larger ones. the MJ 1200 is 295gph, and I gotta tell you, two of those on my 40gal breeder work perfectly. perfect ideal flow.

I see your point.But your only turning only 14.75.Ill get 1 1200 for the back
and will keep 1 up top to aggiatate the surface.Then ill put 1 on each corner of the tank.Lets see that will be 985/55=17.91 per hour.Hows that now.Ill be able to surf.lol

Back
Top Bottom