MaxiJet Mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an extra MJ900 that I wasn't even using. I'm gonna give that a try. Makes you wonder why the MJ's weren't built that way from the beginning.

It makes me wonder too. As somebody who has been involved in numerous phases of engineering and product design for a few decades, to me it always begs the question. Believe me, you could pour 2 years of blood, sweat and tears into what you think is the perfect product and within a few months somebody will figure out some mods to make it better. In mass produced products it often boils down to money. You might easily spend a million dollars in R&D, testing, tooling, marketing and packing to produce a line of aquarium pumps. Then, some cool cat analyzes and thinks of an angle you didn't consider.
Management might analyze and consider those improvement but decide it's not worth it to spend the additional money.

At any rate the guy's improvement look ingenious. Definately worth trying. Or, if you're like me, just shell out a few bucks for a bigger/better pump.

Good points. Maxijet had say 10 people designing it? Now there are 10,000,000 people trying to figure out how to make it better.

That mod is AMAZING. I have 4 mod'ed MJ900 on a timer and my tank has virtually NO dead spot. Definitely worth your time. It only took me around 5 mins to mod all 4.

I was thoroughly impressed by the water movement and will be attempting this myself.

Fishfrik would you mind posting your mod? I'd like to see this added to a timer.

arminkropp said:
Post some of these on ebay and I promise I would buy 4!

I bet he would make some money just selling the completed mod to add to your MJ!

He sells the parts on another website but I will have to find it.

I have been running 2 of these for a few months now. Flow will be dependant on the prop used and the style of outlet. I like them.

Got my order from mjmods. Excellent quality. Took mere minutes to assemble my little boat prop powerhead (MJ900). After waiting for the super glue to dry, I tried it out in a 5g bucket. It quickly turned the bucket into a jacuzzi and then it started going around in circles on the bottom like a little submarine. Easy to do and an enormous difference. Tomorrow I'm going to stick it in the tank and watch everything fly around. I'm actually a little worried now that it might be too much for my 90g. Pretty crazy. I'll find out tomorrow.

That sounds fantastic gatorfreak. I've been putting off doing the mod for a while now, but I think I'll just get it done and over with ;)

Back
Top Bottom