maxijet or koralia or other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vietcu

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to get some powerhead for my 75g tank. I was thinking of getting 2 maxijet1200 and modding it, or get 2 koralia 3. What do you guys think, or should I go with some other brand?

Koralias.

Personally, I think the maxijet mods look ugly, but that's just me. I haven't added it up, but by the time you buy the maxijet, the mod kit, and a magnet holder, you're probably at (or more than) the price of a Koralia. And the Koralia comes with the magnet holder already.

I agree, the Koralias are great. They eliminate the need to cover the intake. I always said I had seen snails go across them and not get stuck....well, last night my pincushion urchin was on it with the same result. The maxi-jets are great for a strong direct flow, but they suck up a lot of stuff (I've pulled out a few empty snail shells from the intake). I have one in my 55G for surface ripple (a steady pH) and 2 hydor 2s for a nice cone shaped, gentle flow.

Only issue I have is the maxis pull so hard that it creates a vortex if it is too close to the top of the water.

If you have the maxijet already, I would do the modded MJ. I have both - 2 modded 1200's and a modded K4. The MJ takes up less physical space. As for looks, I like the MJ better as well. Some of the DIY'er ones did not look that nice but the ones out now are nice.

I have one of the modded MJ's go off at night and back on in the morning with just a regular light timer. The koralia kept knocking the cover off.

I am a fan of directed flow though. With a mixed reef, the koralia seemed to push water in a direction I did not want. Modded MJ seemed to have 2x the output of the Koralia too.

Both are good. Depends on what you want I guess

The koralia's also create a vortex if too close to the top.

I only have 2 koralia nanos in my ten gallon so I can't say for the larger versions, but I really like them and will probably get these for my next venture- frag tanks. I really like the dispersed flow they put out and my corals love it. Low power consumption also. The only draw back I see to them is they are quite large.

Also if you have an anemone you need to cover the intake of the koralia's. I've seen several threads about nem's turning into mush from them. :(

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered 2 koralia #3, hopes thats enough flow for the 75.

I realize Im a little late, but I use a pair of Koralia 4's in my 75. They are on a power strip/timer (wavemaker). Works fantastico! They are a little cumbersome because of their size, but once you get the flow, they really do the job.

GL!

Well I will have also a mag 7 pumping water into the tank not even 2 feet from the tank, so I will have a lot of flow with that as well.

Back
Top Bottom