Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
MaxiJets Blowing Bubbles... ARGH!

Hey everyone, well I finally did it, I attained the holy grail, NO microbubbles in my tank, or so I thought. Just when I finally get it all worked out my maxijets start blowing micro bubbles every 20 - 45 minutes. I have them mounted horiztonally rather than vertically. Here is a pic to show them. I guess air is building up near the output and when it gets fully loaded it blows a cloud of bubbles, anyone know a workaround for this other than turning them verticle?

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
well, the air has to come from somewhere. There might be some resident in the impellar section of the pump. Take them apart and put them back together underwater. At that point they shouldn't blow any. The maxi's in my tank are horizontal and I have no bubbles from them. My sump is a different story all together.

Jim

Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Yaksplat. The air is getting in their from another source or it was trapped in the when you put the PH under water. Follow his advice and see if that helps.

I must have lucked out when I built my sump. I have no baffles at all down there and I get ZERO microbubbles returned to the tank. This is with a PH down there that is attached to my CPR overflow who's only purpose it to pull air out of the overflow so that the siphon doesn't break. The PH pulls that air right into the sump and it floats to the surface.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Horizontal that close to the surfacce...I'd guess they are sucking air from the surface intermittantly.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could be that its blowing and then sucking the same bubbles or something. Next time it blows im going to put my wavemaster on feeding mode and let the majority of them settle out. If that doesn't help I will tear them down. Thanks for the help, if it ain't one thing its another. Maybe i'll get lucky one time and deal with the effect without creating another cause. Take care.

-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with RR69... infact try moving it up sloooowly closer to the surface and I bet a mini-vortex appears twixt the surface and the strainer and it starts suckin' air!

It's maybe just close enough that it makes a pin sized vortext occasionally right now.

MOve it down an inch and I bet it stops.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

turn it vertical

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well RR you were right, the vortex was not visible to the eye, but after doing what snap recommended I got the effect. I moved each powerhead that was blowing air down .5 inchs and the problem has stopped. I am finally microbubble free! Thanks for all your help.

Tags
bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com