Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redseamax
I have one in a red sea max 130d that has t5 in it for about 2 years now. And it's doing vary well. So for people that say you cant have it with t5, it's just not true.
That sounds great. I really like how they pop out and are a great center piece for the tank. The only fish that may be a problem would be my multicolor angle but I'm not sure if it will pick at the clam or not. All the other fish are peaceful and I got a couple shrimp so this might be doable but I gotta do a little more research before I take the plunge. I want to make sure I have all the right conditions for it to thrive.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone13 View Post
Thanks guys, I have T-5 HO's so I think I'll look at the Tridacna's and see if anything pops out at me.
All the "large" clams available for reef tanks are tridacna.sp, ie tridacna.maxima, tridacna.crocea, tridacna.derasa, etc.
Got Tridacna art

Here's my Maxima I've had about 6 yrs or so, It's kept under MH lighting.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's cool, obviously you have clam happiness in your tank! What, if any special things do you do for the clam?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's awesome. But you said you have it under metal halide. I have T-5's so maybe I should wait for when I upgrade to a bigger tank to get the heavy duty equipment before I start get'n the tank critters I want. But that clam looks great. Question though. Under optimal conditions how long do they live? I know in there natural environments they can live for decades I was wonder'n how long in an aquarium set up can they live?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maximas do best under halides but so long as you have a lot of T5s you could pull off a maxima. It'd take a lot of watts, but if it's 14k+ and 4 watts per gallon with the T5s I bet you'd be fine. Derasas are less demanding and some look equally beautiful.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That's cool, obviously you have clam happiness in your tank! What, if any special things do you do for the clam?
My tank is mostly SPS corals, so I need to keep up with regular water changes and make sure my calcium, alk and mag levels are optimun. I do dose on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbone13 View Post
That's awesome. But you said you have it under metal halide. I have T-5's so maybe I should wait for when I upgrade to a bigger tank to get the heavy duty equipment before I start get'n the tank critters I want. But that clam looks great. Question though. Under optimal conditions how long do they live? I know in there natural environments they can live for decades I was wonder'n how long in an aquarium set up can they live?
Maxima's are probably the most light demanding of the tridacna clams. There are others that will do quite well under less intense lighting. Squamosa and derasa don't need high intensity lighting. Check out the link to the Tridacna article I posted earlier.
Under the proper conditions, they should live longer then us. A local reefer friend of mine has had his Maxima around 20 yrs and it's still going strong.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com