Maxima Clam questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STP wellsophyllia

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased a nice purple and gold maxima clam a month ago after doing a lot of research. He is doing fantastic. When i purchased him he was a little closed up and pale but my LFS said he had turned around from a rough ship. i was willing to spend the money and try to save a beautiful animal. Now i am glad to say that his color has been restored, his mantle extension is great, his siphon is not to wide, not too narrow, and he has instant response to light changes, flow changes, and touch. He has been in the sand bed the entire time and looks like he is doing outstanding. MY QUESTION IS: Can he stay here? I've heard mixed reviews from people saying he MUST be on a rock or yeah, he can stay in the sand.
Its a 4- 4-1/2" deep sand bed. I have quad t5's and a really powerful dimmable led strip as lighting. water parameters are beautiful. I'm currently growing all types of corals from acros and montis to colt corals and mushrooms. its a very mixed reef right now. weekly water changes. its a 90g with a refugium sump. sock filter protein skimmer and external canister filter for extra clarity.
any input would be nice :D(y):thanks:

The only problem with it being in the sand bed IMO is if you don't put a rock or frag disk underneath for it to attach to it can be very tough to move them if they attach to the glass.

do you really think it will burrow that far?i understand that part also, i just wanted to know if there were any inherent health risks to the clam

I just acquired one as well! What are predictors I should know about?

I placed both of mine on a Rock on the sand bed . I had the up higher at first but they would push themselves down . Now they have been happy on the sand bed for 2 years nowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400985954.382307.jpg

I put hum on a small rock thats just dusted over with sand about two days ago i think? He hasnt attached himself yet but he looks a little happier. How long does it usually take for them to attach?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401283878.394186.jpg

Back
Top Bottom