*Maxima Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question my friend bought a clam from a SW tank yesterday that was green. When he placed it in his 75gal PC w/ lunar lights tank and placed it close to the light the clam is blue. When he places the clam on the sand it has the green color. I have read that Clams should be place close to the light correct?

Placement depends on species and type of lighting. Is it definitely a maxima, which one? How many watts of pc lighting is it and how deep is the tank? What kind of lighting was it in before?

I bought a tank that came with a small clam that was supposed to be derasa but is in fact a maxima, and I've noticed the same thing. On the bottom of the tank it looks green but closer to the light it looks blue. I was told to move it to the top of the tank closer to the light so I put it in a plastic cup with sand and placed it as high as I could in the tank. The clam is doing/looking much better now. I had to move mine because of the tank being so deep. (30g hex) So, I guess to answer your question, it may depend on the depth of your friends tank. Personally, I'd move it up. Just be sure to keep it on a soft substrate. The cup works well for me, although it's not much to look at, but it keeps the clam from walking off the rocks.

My Maxima were on the sandbed 260W PC w/Lunar lights I found that the clam is doing excellent closer to the light. My friends came from a PC 20gal tank with only the white PC maybe a foot deep? How will he know what is the proper setting for it?

I have a 55gal. 260Watt CoralLife Power Compact, 3 1W Lunar Lights, Live sand 4in DSB, 75lbs. Live Rock, 2 Cinnamon Clownfish, Firefish, Magenta Dottyback, snails, crabs, Feather Duster, Sabae Purple Tipped Anenome, 1 White Leather Coral, Red Sun polyp, assorted polyps, 2 Assorted Color Plate Corals, Pipe Organ, Frogspawn, Fox Coral, Flat Brain, Finger Leather, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, 2 8" Maxima Clams, Wet/Dry filter, Protein Skimmer, Heater My 2 clams 1 Blue and 1 Green maxima are doing great sitting onto of my liverock they are huge 8in.

Put it on a flat rock or a half shell from another clam. Wait till it attaches its foot then you can move it wherever you want it. If I were you , I would start it on the bottom, let it attach to something movable, then over the course of several days move it up a little at a time till you get it to where you want it. If you just sit it on top it will jump, but if you let it attach to a flat rock first it will be more unlikely to jump.

IMO a maxima will not fair well under anything other than halides. Your best bet would be to place the clam up very high in your tank. It's not necessarily the wattage as the intensity of the lights.

Back
Top Bottom