Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maxima Opportunity

I have an opportunity to purchase a beautiful 5.5 inch maxima clam at a lfs. I haven't found anything really definite on the web about the lighting requirements other than they like high lighting. Would I be able to do this clam with 324 watts (72 gallon bowfront - approx 22-23" deep)?

Thank you!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
From what i have heard from the guy at my lfs they like a few more watts/gal then you have. He game me a number of 6-8. I've also heard they like MH for the intensity. I don't know how much i trust that guy at my lfs yet but i thought i would pass it on. I could be way off though.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

325watts of why type of lighting? For best results, this clam needs MH lighting. However, I kept a bown/gold keyhole maxima in my first 38gal reef under PC lights. It did fine until I moved it to my 72gal. The lighting was just not enough for it and it ended up getting sick and dying. In short, for that size of tank your best bet is MH.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
325watts of why type of lighting? For best results, this clam needs MH lighting. However, I kept a bown/gold keyhole maxima in my first 38gal reef under PC lights. It did fine until I moved it to my 72gal. The lighting was just not enough for it and it ended up getting sick and dying. In short, for that size of tank your best bet is MH.
Just upgraded to this -- Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5. I think this called VHO lighting??
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Your lights are T5 HO. They are better than VHO.

A maxima, especially that big, should be OK with those light as long as you keep it as high as you can. Only problem is when it's up high you can't really look down on the matle to see all the cool colors....and that's sort of why we want them. A maxima is also probably the most sensitive and hardest to keep. I've had my maxima about 2 yrs and it's grown quite a bit. I have it directly under a MH, but near the bottom of my tank.
Here's a good article on clams.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree you may be okay with t5's...especially if all of the bulbs have their own reflector. THis will direct more usable light toward the tank. Placement will be key. Hopefully you can fisn a good spot that allows for great light and good viewing as well. Post a pic if the you get the animal.
BTW...I am currently acclimating a small 2.5in maxima in my main. I stopped by the LFS today on the way home from work and they have several small maximas for $25. I could not pass it up.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
Your lights are T5 HO. They are better than VHO.

A maxima, especially that big, should be OK with those light as long as you keep it as high as you can. Only problem is when it's up high you can't really look down on the matle to see all the cool colors....and that's sort of why we want them. A maxima is also probably the most sensitive and hardest to keep. I've had my maxima about 2 yrs and it's grown quite a bit. I have it directly under a MH, but near the bottom of my tank.
Here's a good article on clams.
Thanks for info on the lighting....I wasn't quite sure just what those types of lights were called.

That is a really, really good article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

This clam is absolutely beautiful but I REALLY want to make sure that I have the right lighting for it. The price is (gulp) $375 for 15 cm. I may have to wait to closer to Valentines day for it.

If I don't decide to get it, I'll have to post a picture of it....it's really something to see.

Thanks very much for the info folks....it is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gulp is right...that is one spendy clam. What color is it?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Lando,

Clams under about 3" need supplemental feedings of phyto. Not a bad idea for larger clams once a week too.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yah...I have raised a baby crocea from about 1.5in. It is now over four. I use the old "pop bottle" method to feed DT's live phyto to feed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com