Maximum Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I usually do weekly water changes on my Saltwater tanks. But I just wanted to know what is the maximum allowable Nitrate levels before the health of my fishes are compromised? I just wanted to know because maybe I can do bi-weekly as opposed to weekly. I know this probably also depends on what kind of fish I have, how hardy etc. Just wanted an average if possible. Thanks

I usually do weekly water changes on my Saltwater tanks. But I just wanted to know what is the maximum allowable Nitrate levels before the health of my fishes are compromised? I just wanted to know because maybe I can do bi-weekly as opposed to weekly. I know this probably also depends on what kind of fish I have, how hardy etc. Just wanted an average if possible. Thanks

I'd say 20-30 for fish and 10-20 for certain corals

Although fish are less sensitive, you should never have 20-30ppm, if you do then you need to take a look at your house keeping routines, 0-3ppm is what I should shoot for. Water changes depends on your tank size, number of fish, kind of fish, feeding routine and other inhabitants. What it is now? Go to bi weekly and if it creeps up, go back to weekly. The smaller the tank the more important the wc is.

Bribo is right on the money, as usual. lol

Fish only can be higher than if you have corals. If you keep corals I;d say you wills ee some change in them if you go higher than 20-30. With fish its harder to see a change but I'd say dont go over 30 or so. If its not a regular thing to miss a water change you can always do a larger one the next time you do one.

If you keep any SPS corals you will probably notice a big change if nitrates are over 10 or so.

I tend to do large water changes on my tanks, some every 2 weeks and some every month. I change about 50% regardless.

Although fish are less sensitive, you should never have 20-30ppm, if you do then you need to take a look at your house keeping routines, 0-3ppm is what I should shoot for. Water changes depends on your tank size, number of fish, kind of fish, feeding routine and other inhabitants. What it is now? Go to bi weekly and if it creeps up, go back to weekly. The smaller the tank the more important the wc is.

He asked for a maximum not what it should be lol. Thanks Carey :)

lol! It's ok, I wanted to hear all opinions. I love this website/forum. All of you have been extremely helpful with all my questions. Thanks all of you.

Back
Top Bottom