May have a Mantis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright, so, over the past few days i've been hearing weird sounds in the tank. Not really clicking sounds, but more like banging sounds. Has anyone hear turned on a powerhead before, and the propeller sortof flips around for a bit before getting into place and staying quiet? Well, the sound is sortof like that. But the thing is, it's so random that it just puzzles me. Also, i have never had this problem with the powerheads before in the water. They've never made a single sound before. Also, i look in the tank as the sounds are happening and both powerheads' propellers don't move a single bit. So i'm pretty confused. Also, the sound ranges from being pretty loud, to just little taping sounds.

What should i do? I took the background off my tank for a second or two just to look behind the rock structure and found nothing moving around. These rocks also were in my tank when my ammonia readings flew off the charts, so i would think that nothing could have survived being in the water at that point in time. And that's the main reason i'm moving away from the fact that it's a mantis. I have no clue what to do guys. Any suggestions would be nice. I never see anything come out at night(not that i've really looked) and my fish are still alive.. lol.

It could be a snails' shell getting batted against the glass by the flow.

Do you have snails? Larger snails get stuck and when they do they flip or rotate their shell quickly to get free. It sounds like a ring clicking the glass. Next time you hear it look for your snails.

I doubt anything could have survived blue ammonia readings :)

At least, I HOPE nothing survived that! I would be terrified of the animal that lived through your ammonia ordeal! He would be tougher than **** and have revenge on his mind.

It is likely your power head having some issues. Mine makes some noise from time to time.

Matt

Yeah so, i figured out that it was my powerhead. The only reason why it looked like it wasn't making the sounds, was because it wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. But during one of its sound rampages, i pulled the plug and the noises went away. Sooo, i took it out, and took it part, and noticed that the metal rod was really loose, and hardly in the propeller socket. Gave it a good cleaning, put it back together, placed it back in the tank, and haven't heard a sound since.

False alarm. :p

Mrg02d, you would be surprised what strange critters can make it through a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom