Maybe a dumb question, but can a 45degree elbow be used

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
to run directly off a mag drive 500 GPH pump? The reaon I ask, I need to convert it directly to a 1" hose and the only adaptor I could find was a elbow. Would it hurt the pump at all?
TIA

Actually, a 45* ell adds 6" of head...a 90* ell adds 1'.
Check the pvc section at HD or Lowes. You should be able to find a threaded 1/2 to 1" bushing. Then you can use a 1" hose nipple to connect the flex line. If you're using rigid pipe, a 1" female adapter screwed onto the bushing will take care of things. The 45* ell will work though.

thanks guys, its hooked up and working fine. HD, didn't have what I needed, will go to Lowes tomorrow and maybe redo it tomorrow .
Thanks for the input!!

I see it posted a lot here about an elbow being worth "x" amount of head loss. It's worth noting there's no hard figure for the head loss through a certain fitting. It's a function of the pipe diameter, the flow rate, and the individual fitting.

Most of what you'll find on the internet for PVC pipe and fittings is given in equivalent pipe lengths, which may be why there is confusion. For example, a 1"-45° elbow is equivalent to an extra 1.3 ft of pipe---NOT 1.3 ft of head. A 1"-90° is equivalent to an extra 2.6 ft of pipe. The actual head loss is based on the system flow rate:

At 600 GPH (10 GPM), the above 45° gives only 0.08' of head loss. The 90° loses only 0.16' of head.

The best (read: simplest) site I've found is here:
http://www.valler.com/fish/tips.html

While I understand what you're saying, and I agree, the simple formula of x" of head per fitting is just a way to approximate the flow you'll get from a pump without getting into frictional losses in the pipe, loss coefficients for fittings, ect... Most folks don't want to sit down and figure all that up...they just want to know about how much flow they'll get and adding 1' of head for a 90* fitting serves that purpose pretty well. If anyone is interested in learning the math and theory behind pumps, skimmers, UV sterilizers, heat loss in a tank, ect..., P. Escobal has an excellent book called "Aquatic System Engineering" that explains it all.

I agree, Logan, but my point was that saying 1 ft. for a 90 is a significant overestimation for all but the largest systems.

Back
Top Bottom