Maybe a unique idea for an invert tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diverdown69

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just had a pretty cool idea and I was wondering if anyone had done this before...
In the course of getting my M.S., I have worked extensively in the shrimp mariculture field and I have seen some bizarre ecosystems in shrimp farm ponds. I have also done a good bit of work in the estuarine ecology realm. The idea is to make up a SW tank with an estuarine theme. I could keep the salinity down around 10-15ppt and stock the tank with animals like blue crabs (Callinectes sp.), maybe a few white or brown shrimp (L. setiferus or F. aztecus), and some local coral/anemone species from the Port Aransas jetties. Putting fish like red drum (S. ocellatus) or spotted seatrout (C. nebulosus) in a tank is possible, but not a good idea because they are VERY predatory and VERY aggressive toward other species. I could possibly put a few small croaker (M. undulatus) in the tank too. My kids keep screaming for the "Finding Nemo" tank, but I keep telling them that making that tank happen is gonna take a good while. The estuarine tank would be IMO easier to manage and more educational for the kids. I could go collect local species from the jetties and even from my pier on Copano Bay, TX.
Anyone got any good ideas or tips for starting this sort of tank? Would it be best to just try to mimic the natural ecosystem as best I can in a tank?
TIA

In the London Aquarium there is a fascinating estuarine tank displaying indigenous Thames fish.
It really looked smart. Jeff

The New Jersey aquarium in Camden used to have one. But I think lthey are closed for repairs for a few months.

Flounder...yep. I was also thinking of something a little smaller like a blackcheek tonguefish (Symphurus plagiusa) to have as a bottom dweller that will occasionally swim up and surprise you (they are capable of blending to the bottom color patterns). The blue crabs would have to be closely watched to ensure that they didn't get too big. One big blue could probably decimate an entire tank in pretty short order. The shrimp would just be kind of unique IMO. How many aquaria have you seen with live white or brown shrimp? I could alwqays use the one that is more commonly cultured, the Pacific white shrimp (L. vannamei) as they tend to be a little hardier and they grow much faster than other penaeids.

Back
Top Bottom