Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
Damsels are related to cichlids so that's why they can be aggressive.
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jeremy S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner
Damsels are related to cichlids so that's why they can be aggressive.
I do like a few damsels but I just enjoy other fish more I guess.
__________________

__________________
Jeremy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Yeah I didn't like damsels at first either, I didn't cycle with them, I didn't wanna cycle with them because I heard how hard they were to catch out. But then I looked at all the positives, all very active, different colors, smaller so I can keep more in there, and very hardy!
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Pryzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
Yeah I read if you buy them young, unlike the clowns the bigger will turn into the male and take care of 1-3 females for mating. So they must be able to be together. And even if they so kill each other their only 5 dollars so I'm not out a 90 dollar fish!
I think you should see it as you're killing an animal, not the price tag.
__________________
Pryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jeremy S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryzz

I think you should see it as you're killing an animal, not the price tag.
+1

It's a living creature so how would you feel in its position?
__________________
Jeremy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16 View Post
Yeah I didn't like damsels at first either, I didn't cycle with them, I didn't wanna cycle with them because I heard how hard they were to catch out. But then I looked at all the positives, all very active, different colors, smaller so I can keep more in there, and very hardy!
A lot of damsels don't stay small or colorful. Dominos more or less lose their white spots and turn a dusky black or brown and get about 5" long. Velvet damsels lose most of the neon blue striping and get that size as well. Sergeant majors pretty much keep their color, but get about 6".

__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
jcramey84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10
If you love smaller fish that are colorful you might want to look into chromises? They're some of my favorite fish as they are colorful and not as aggressive as the damsels it seems.
__________________
jcramey84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryzz

I think you should see it as you're killing an animal, not the price tag.
I think I worded that wrong, I mean fish kill fish all the time and sometimes fish die for no reason. If some of my fish are gonna die for whatever reason it may be, I'd rather it be a 5 dollar fish than a 90 dollar fish.
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag

A lot of damsels don't stay small or colorful. Dominos more or less lose their white spots and turn a dusky black or brown and get about 5" long. Velvet damsels lose most of the neon blue striping and get that size as well. Sergeant majors pretty much keep their color, but get about 6".
And I'm not talking about blue velvet and dominos, those are way too aggressive anyways. I'm talking about, Fiji blue devils, yellow tail damsels, Fiji damsels, those yellow damsels, azure damsels
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jeremy S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16

And I'm not talking about blue velvet and dominos, those are way too aggressive anyways. I'm talking about, Fiji blue devils, yellow tail damsels, Fiji damsels, those yellow damsels, azure damsels
Blue devils have devil in their name for a reason! Lol
__________________

__________________
Jeremy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
damsel, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.