Maybe new damsel tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How does changing my 75 gallon tank over to a damsel tank sound to everyone?? My lfs just received a big shipment of all different types of damsels and they really vary between a lot of colors and are always very active!

I'd say if you really love damsels, then get them. But IMO seeing the same shape of fish (only variety in color) would get a little boring. But you probably already know how aggressive they are and hard to catch. What kinds were you thinking of getting and why would you want just all damsels...seems like you really love them if you're willing to have just damsels in your tank..or am I mistaken?

obscurereef said:
I'd say if you really love damsels, then get them. But IMO seeing the same shape of fish (only variety in color) would get a little boring. But you probably already know how aggressive they are and hard to catch. What kinds were you thinking of getting and why would you want just all damsels...seems like you really love them if you're willing to have just damsels in your tank..or am I mistaken?

Well yeah the shape doesn't really bother me and I do love all the colors of them, there's so many and I like them because they are so active and I can put quite a few more in my tank than I could with just normal fish!

I would only keep one species of damsel per tank. They fight with related or similar fish.

I would only keep one species of damsel per tank. They fight with related or similar fish.

I disagree I think they do well with lots of different types. Sounds cool to me if you like them. Iv always wanted a clown tank and have a pair of each type of clown but then again that cant happen.

Yeah I read if you buy them young, unlike the clowns the bigger will turn into the male and take care of 1-3 females for mating. So they must be able to be together. And even if they so kill each other their only 5 dollars so I'm not out a 90 dollar fish!

armyman16 said:
Yeah I read if you buy them young, unlike the clowns the bigger will turn into the male and take care of 1-3 females for mating. So they must be able to be together. And even if they so kill each other their only 5 dollars so I'm not out a 90 dollar fish!

I've never heard the larger one turns into a male and the others become females.

And just my 2 cents is that damsels aren't a centerpiece or display fish. I find them extremely boring and overly aggressive majority of the time. I still have 2 left in my tank and they have got to go.

I've never heard the larger one turns into a male and the others become females.

And just my 2 cents is that damsels aren't a centerpiece or display fish. I find them extremely boring and overly aggressive majority of the time. I still have 2 left in my tank and they have got to go.

I have to disagree I felt the same way but I saw a damsel tank one day that was amazing. The colors of the fist can be played well off of corals. If you mix the right color fish and corals together you will have a spectacular display. Center peice fish are different for everyone. IMO my favorite fish is the midis Blenny. To must it's just a yellow Blenny but to me it is a master peice of color, movement, and personality. Then again my fish I will some day build a tank for is a queen angel. So maybe for some reason a azure damsel is his favorit fish.

They just feel like theyre the saltwater equivalent of a freshwater guppy. Some people love them, but to me they're to simple and basic.

bettaowner said:
Damsels are related to cichlids so that's why they can be aggressive.

I do like a few damsels but I just enjoy other fish more I guess.

Yeah I didn't like damsels at first either, I didn't cycle with them, I didn't wanna cycle with them because I heard how hard they were to catch out. But then I looked at all the positives, all very active, different colors, smaller so I can keep more in there, and very hardy!

armyman16 said:

I think you should see it as you're killing an animal, not the price tag.

Pryzz said:

+1

It's a living creature so how would you feel in its position?

Yeah I didn't like damsels at first either, I didn't cycle with them, I didn't wanna cycle with them because I heard how hard they were to catch out. But then I looked at all the positives, all very active, different colors, smaller so I can keep more in there, and very hardy!

A lot of damsels don't stay small or colorful. Dominos more or less lose their white spots and turn a dusky black or brown and get about 5" long. Velvet damsels lose most of the neon blue striping and get that size as well. Sergeant majors pretty much keep their color, but get about 6".

damsel23.jpg
Dascyllus_trimaculatusCKS.jpg

If you love smaller fish that are colorful you might want to look into chromises? They're some of my favorite fish as they are colorful and not as aggressive as the damsels it seems.

Pryzz said:

I think I worded that wrong, I mean fish kill fish all the time and sometimes fish die for no reason. If some of my fish are gonna die for whatever reason it may be, I'd rather it be a 5 dollar fish than a 90 dollar fish.

Rutrag said:
A lot of damsels don't stay small or colorful. Dominos more or less lose their white spots and turn a dusky black or brown and get about 5" long. Velvet damsels lose most of the neon blue striping and get that size as well. Sergeant majors pretty much keep their color, but get about 6".

And I'm not talking about blue velvet and dominos, those are way too aggressive anyways. I'm talking about, Fiji blue devils, yellow tail damsels, Fiji damsels, those yellow damsels, azure damsels

armyman16 said:
And I'm not talking about blue velvet and dominos, those are way too aggressive anyways. I'm talking about, Fiji blue devils, yellow tail damsels, Fiji damsels, those yellow damsels, azure damsels

Blue devils have devil in their name for a reason! Lol

Back
Top Bottom