Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sorry for the delay but I have been busy with jobs and etc., plus the aquarium. First off as far lighting time and coral I do not have any coral now. Trying to let the tank settle out first. I checked my water parameters 2 more times and still 0's or not detected. With that being said I decided to clean my substrate wasn't sure about doing it. I have really arguments on both sides of this "to clean or not to clean". I removed around 1/2" or so of the substrate with 5 gallons of water. I have about a 3 1/2"- 4" base. Holy cow that I was surprised out how dirty it was. The water was almost black. I strained out the substrate put the snails back in the tank then rinsed the substrate out several times with ro water. Then put it back in along with a 10g water exchange with a slightly elevated calcium level.

We have been clear since and the cyano is disappearing from everything. So I guess I will clean my substrate more often and purchase some more cleaners for it.

Thanks again for everyones info.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If your substrate is getting dirty then you need more flow. The sand should not be collecting anything. I don't even vacuum my substrate in my sw tanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
If your substrate is getting dirty then you need more flow. The sand should not be collecting anything. I don't even vacuum my substrate in my sw tanks.
I agree. I have never vacuumed a sand bed in a salt tank.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #24

I used to vacuum but not anymore
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #25

Cyano not back yet. Not sure about vacuuming and how often I will do it but it really seems to have a difference. Maybe do it again if needed. I did purchase 2 sand sifting stars fish hopefully this will aid in keeping it clean along with snails and hermits.

The circulation for my 55g tank is:
Circulation pumps
1x 500gpm
1x 700gpm

Powerhead 200gpm

Overflow box with 500g return pump from 29 g refuge.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How are your powerheads positioned? The key is finding the sweet spot to avoide build up on the sand. ANd two star fish? You are gonna be lucky if they both dont die. They have a tendency to go deep under the sand bed and die there when they run out of food. Noe THAT can be an issue. That's the reason why I don't have any in not one of my tanks. I'd like one but the dying under the sand thing has me put off. lol
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by fav74 View Post
. I did purchase 2 sand sifting stars fish hopefully this will aid in keeping it clean along with snails and hermits.
Unfortunately, the sand sifters will starve.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #28

did your tank just finish cycling or something?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #29

My tank is just over 3 months old but it cycled out quickly, by parameter #'s, and been holding steady.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #30

Those starfish are going to strip ir sand bed Pf everything.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com