Maybe the pistol shrimp's gotta go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I changed my auquascape last week to return a couple of fish. Didn't move the two rocks the pistol and watchman goby lives and works under.

Now the shrimp has gone crazy. For 9 months, he stayed in the 20% of the tank's rock space. Now he's working some on the other side of the tank. The rock he did work under is also much, much more full of sand out front. Not the auqauascape I like at all. There's not much, maybe an inch of the original 3 inch depth in the back of most of the tank. I believe he's gone crazy or one of his tank mates is pushing performance enhancers.

I got a dilemma. Does he stay or go? If he goes, should his watchman buddy go with him to avoid depression? If they do go, should I get another pair? If I get another pair, will they likely be just as active someday?

Catching him and goby would likely be very disturbing to the tank. I do need to get that out front sand to the back again.

I don't know what to do. :(

I shutter to think what my pistol is doing under my LR. He must have some kind of elaborate tunnel sysstem expanding over the entire bottom of the tank. I see him in the middle and 30 secs. latter he is bull-bozing at the end of the tank. I have not had any trouble. i figure he is helping me out by mixing up the sand for me.

Mine was too until he DRASTICALLY began re-doing my landscape. What's your opinion on my situation as described? I really think I've gotta do something. He's about to bury mu kenya tree coral. Can't move the coral 'cause it's attached to a huge rock on the bottom.

If you are worried, it might be best to bring it back to the LFS. Your coral is worth more then the shrimp. I had a large, very nice trumpet coral sitting on my substrate. My pistol dug under it causing it's bottom 1/3 to sink into the substrate. I did not notice this in time. When I pulled it out, the burried section was dead. Not a huge deal as I just broke off the dead heads.

If its just an aquascaping issue mine does that every so often, piling up too much sand in one area. I readjust the sand level how I want it again but only when it gets way outta control. My pistol has his main home a summer home, vacation home etc. I let him do what he wants for the most part until the sand gets too high or too low in some areas. Its not too big of an issue for me

Mine started going all out w/ his redecorating about three or four months ago after being in the tank for about 6 months. Since then he periodically will spend about 1-2 days every now and again re-digging out his territory. It hasn't caused any problems for me other than as most have mentioned, having to dig a coral out now and then. But IMO, he and the goby are worth alittle extra care. Removal is up to you, but most likely if you get another pistol eventually the same will happen.

Keeping him. Thanks for the input. You guys are right, as I simply pushed sand back, caused a couple of sinkholes to start sliding, and all is well. He is worth the effort.

Besides. Catching him would be crazy!

Back
Top Bottom