Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

maze/platygyra coral question

OK... I'll add a picture to this thread once it gets approved in the gallery, but until then here's my question.

I've got a flat, plate type playtgyra (maze) coral that was encrusted over a flat saucer shaped rock when I bought it. I've got that rock/coral sitting about a 1/3 the way off the bottom of my tank, on a flat shelf of one of my rocks. It seems really happy there, as it's visibly growing closer and closer to the edge of it's original rock home. Looking at it tonight, it's starting to grow over the edge of it's rock. I've got maybe a 1/2" gap between it's rock and my live rock that it's sitting on. (Yeah... I know a picture will help here - it coming!)

I'm totally new to this coral thing and I'm wondering how it's going to continue growing? Is it going to curl over the edge of it's rock and continue growing on the bottom side? Or is it going to hang off the edge and span that gap between rocks - eventually encrusting the two rocks together, and continuing to grow onto my live rock? (That'd be cool!)

Any insight out there?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My guess would be that it will span the distance and encrust onto the other rock.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say it will encrust it's rock, and eventually build up enough skeleton to bridge the gap. It will not grow on the underside of a rock due to lack of lighting. The pic will definitely help though
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with Ziggy. It'll likely span the distance and grow onto your other rock. Ill go check the gallery and see the status of your photo.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Lindsay... here's the photos:

The gap isn't as big as it looks in the picture. The photos are kind of shot from below, so it exagerated the gap. (No... that's not a whisker in the one picture - it's a feeler from my cleaner shrimp that molted yesterday. And yes... my Nemo is a big camera hog.)
Old 03-30-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'd say that it will bridge the gap...nice looking coral...I have something similar to it!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! I thought it was pretty nice looking too, and saw it fitting in my tank in just the perfect spot. Unfortunately, it ended up being bigger than I realized and it didn't quite fit on this rock like I thought. (What else is new?!)

I saw it at a great fish/coral shop near me and passed it by once. When I went back to get it the second time, they'd raised the price by $20! Guess they saw me coming!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry Kurt, I did not realize I was able to approve photos Yes, that will encrust onto the piece of LR, giving a nice, natural look. Nice piece.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have a question. Would it be wise to make sure the coral's rock is attached to the rock underneath it, in the event the smaller rock gets moved/toppled? I don't know so I was just curious....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good question roka64... I'd be curious also. There is a little cave between the bottom of the "host" rock and the top of the live rock it's sitting on. I'd intended to epoxy it down, but the bottom of the "host" rock, and the top of the shelf it's sitting on are pretty smooth. And as of yet, I haven't found an epoxy that acts like a glue - just ones that act as filler that harden to make a certain shape.

When I originally placed it, I placed it to minimize that gap we're looking at. My crabs or snails (don't know who it was) had other ideas though and shifted it a little to where it's at now. Since then, it hasn't been moved at all - and that's been about 5 weeks now. The way it's sitting, it's not going to topple off it's perch - but it could move a bit. (I'll get a top view picture of it tonight when I get home.) Any thoughts out there?

Tags
coral, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com