mean chromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabassi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could solve this mystery I have 3 blue/green chromis and 1 blenny the other day I noticed my banded shrimp was swimming funny (fast up and down only twice) the chromis were near him the next morning the shrimp was dead nothing missing from his body my local pet shop said the chromis may have attacked him and stressed him out they have been together for a month with no issues , he said the chromis can be tough guys , i did not think so , is this possible? my water quality is perfect
thanks

They are in the damsel family ( aggressive fish) but they normally are more peaceful and usually pick on each other, the smallest guy first and then work their way. But I haven't heard any issues with inverts.

I agree with Tommy's statement. They are Damsels, and with any damselfish you are taking a chance. I had a group of 3 chromis as well, and luckily they only went after each other, and not other fish, but eventually the biggest one was the only guy left, so I decided to be done with any damsels in my tank.

the shrimp molted your chromis didn't kill it
he's hiding till his new shell hardens
I have 2 and they molt all the time

yes it can really fool you if your not paying attention

the first time they did it I thought I lost mine,
the molt has arms full body all in tact so it looks just like the shrimp itself
one of mine is now almost 6 inches the others about 3 1/2 inches
let me see if I can find a pict I took of one of the molts

I had a couple of peppermint shrimp and every time they molted (which was often) I had to look twice to make sure nobody was dead. It can trick you. Same with the coral banded shrimp I used to have.

chromis are only aggressive to other chromis 99% of the time. other than that it would be more likely towards other similar fish, not shrimp. Not saying its impossible, just not likely.
On another note, who thinks iodine supplementation is necessary for molting? Is standard salt mix good enough?

Salt mix is usually plenty. My peppermint shrimp and coral banded shrimp molted all the time, and all I did was regular water changes.

Back
Top Bottom