Mean Serpent Star?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way to tell if my serpent star is eating my fish???

I went away for 5 days and came home to find 3 of my fish missing. 2 TINY gobies and 1 clown goby. Now before I left for vacation I added teh tiny gobies and 1 serpent star. I already have on in there. By the way this is a 20xh. Anyway I figured ok, the 2 were new so that could be anything not really sure what happened to the clown goby. Tonight I noticed that I can not seem to find my chalk bass. He could be hiding but he usually comes out. So now all I have left is an orange spotted goby and a yellowheaded jawfish. I also can't seem to find my porcelain crab. I have not seen him since before I left.
I am worried that it is the new serpent. I don't think it is the other one b/c he was there first. Any ideas???

Thanks
Christina

Oh by the way I thought I saw this serpent try to eat my nassrius snail. Not really sure if he just got tangled in him or tried to eat him. But the toher serpent came over and broke things up????

Christina

I have heard that the serpent stars are not really fish eaters, but i'm not sure... How big is he?

Serpents/brittles will make short work of a dead fish, but the only one that I know of that will catch and eat a fish is the green brittle star. I had one and had to get rid of him for that reason.

Ok So maybe they just died then... Like I said it happened while I was away so who know what could have happened.

Thanks.
They are not that big a couple of inches from tip to tip. And they are serpents not brittles. One is orange and one is purpleish with black stripes.

Christina

I have a banded serpent star that is at least 9-10" tip to tip. Have never seen him go after anything.

Unfortunately, I had a black serpent star that would capture slow or sleeping fish and eat them. I have since gotten rid of him to the LFS. It sucks when you pay $100 for a pair of true percs and watch him grab & eat the smaller of the two within 4 hrs of intoduction.

the three that are missing is a yellow clown goby, a TINY yellowhead goby (wich is pretty rare) and and red head goby (I think). The last two are SUPER tiny they could still be in there but I doubt it and they were tank raised guys too... totally bummer. I am going to see if we can get them again b/c they were way to cute. And we are getting in green clown gobies this week so I might get that instead of hte yellow. We have hte yellow ones now so I can decide when the green ones come in on WEd.

Christina

argh!!!

Well I I still have 3 fish in there. and my 3 peppermint shrimp. I have not had any other problems. The jawfish and the yellow clown were my first 2 fish. So I would think that the jawfish would have gotten ti too???

Christina

my problem is that this is going to be my seahorse tank. I have not gotten the seahorses yet but I am concerned now!

Christina

Back
Top Bottom