Mean Yellow Tang, HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a "butterfly" fish and my yellow tang hates his guts. Tang keeps chasing him around the tank. I have a 55 gal. and already tried moving the rocks around but the chasing is still going on. Any suggestions out there? Thanks a bunch

Those darn yellow tangs can be a lot more aggressive than people seam to think they are. I would act pretty quickly, butterflys are extremely picky and if the tang gets him good with that tail of his to many times you may have a case of ich on your hands, not to mention the stress. If I thought the butterfly could fight back I would advise you to leave them alone. My tang always would mellow out after he got nipped back, but how is a butterfly supposed to nip hard enough to make a point? Also I've never personally owned a butterfly so make sure to get some other opinions. Maybe stick one in a QT tank for a bit until you figure out what to do.

Tangs are very aggressive toward any fish that resembles them either in color or body shape. Especially if the tang has been in the tank long enough to establish a territory. I'd take the tang out for a while, rearrange the rock, and give the butterfly time to establish its own territory. You might be able to have them both in the tank that way. One thing I should point out is that a 55 isn't really large enough for long term housing of a yellow tang...you need at least a 75 g tank. Also, due to their agressive nature, tangs are usually the last fish added to the tank. Is returning the butterfly an option?

Thanks for the advice to both of you. I did place the tang in a quarantine tank just for a short time, if this does not work then butterfly has to go back to pet shop.

Back
Top Bottom