Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-31-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Mean Yellow Tang, HELP!

I just bought a "butterfly" fish and my yellow tang hates his guts. Tang keeps chasing him around the tank. I have a 55 gal. and already tried moving the rocks around but the chasing is still going on. Any suggestions out there? Thanks a bunch

saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Those darn yellow tangs can be a lot more aggressive than people seam to think they are. I would act pretty quickly, butterflys are extremely picky and if the tang gets him good with that tail of his to many times you may have a case of ich on your hands, not to mention the stress. If I thought the butterfly could fight back I would advise you to leave them alone. My tang always would mellow out after he got nipped back, but how is a butterfly supposed to nip hard enough to make a point? Also I've never personally owned a butterfly so make sure to get some other opinions. Maybe stick one in a QT tank for a bit until you figure out what to do.

Life looks better on the other side of the glass.
utahcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Tangs are very aggressive toward any fish that resembles them either in color or body shape. Especially if the tang has been in the tank long enough to establish a territory. I'd take the tang out for a while, rearrange the rock, and give the butterfly time to establish its own territory. You might be able to have them both in the tank that way. One thing I should point out is that a 55 isn't really large enough for long term housing of a yellow tang...you need at least a 75 g tank. Also, due to their agressive nature, tangs are usually the last fish added to the tank. Is returning the butterfly an option?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the advice to both of you. I did place the tang in a quarantine tank just for a short time, if this does not work then butterfly has to go back to pet shop.
saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com