Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2003, 10:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
There are a number of flow meter devices on the market but few if any are made to handle salt water and those are very cost prohibitive. Plus most take an interface with low voltage transformers... etc... You might check with a couple of companies though. Ryan Herco & Rosemount may have an inexpensive model that I am not aware of.

Just remembered of a unit we use here at work that is a very simple flow indication and measurement device. A simple stainless steel ball in a tube... called a roto-meter. If they can be fitted with a titanium ball then they are a good simple way to verify and measure flow +/- a couple of gallons per hour.

Here is what Grangers has in a pvc meter.. still not sure of the ball material.

maiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I traded up to a 1200 GPH MAG submersible. Having hooked it up, I can say this is the far better solution..

The LFS had sold me the 700GPH model as the "jetstream" system handles 600GPH.. However, they failed to take into consideration (as did I) that this 125g setup contains 2 full jetstream systems - two inputs and two outputs..

Could I have gone bigger? Perhaps, but this seems to be cranking water right along and I know it won't cause an overflow.

The Pondmaster 1200 can move 1150GPH at a head of 3', which is what I'm dealing with. Hooked up, both sides are getting the same movement as I was trying for earlier, and the outputs are actually generating significant current, rather than just trickling out as before.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is an excellent forum..

mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:05 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
How is the noise??

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 05:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
oh did I forget to mention that?? the noise is gone! The flow is just so much more consistent, it's really pushing the water up, the overflow is strong, and the overflow control tubes have found a spot they like.. the system is now very quiet.. the only thing I can really hear is the pump, but in the cabinet, it's not too bad.. my 55g in the same room with a Fluval, and a biowheel hanging on the back is much noisier, especially when/if I let the water level get low.. the water level won't change with the jetstream system (any overflow for that matter)

This is my first experience with these jetstream models from Marineland (with any overflow system at all).. I thought I'd give it a try, and I have to say, although figuring out the right setup was a bit tedious, overall, the concept is very sound - and it's producing excellent current on the top and bottom of the tank..
mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 04:07 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
On the subject of flowmeters, here are a couple I found. Champion Lighting has 3 different ones. One is called the Oscar Flowmeter and claims to measure the flow of any filter or sterilizer. It doesn't state what the range is but I suspect it's pretty low. Retail price probably about $20.
The other two are called the Blue-White, are sized for a 1" pipe, and are salteater safe. There is a 120-600 gpm version and a 300-2400 gpm version. Guessing about $60 retail.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com